Any Poured epoxy bar top experts here.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
I am thinking about a poured epoxy counter top for a wet bar in my office mancave room. I have done a few epoxy tops in the past but always over sound wood without a lot of voids. What I have in mind is some very distressed 5/4 live edge pine. It will take perhaps 3 of them to get the width I need and I don't plan on removing the live edge. The live edge has evidence of being walked on by men with spiked boots and chopped into with a sharp axe. My thought is to build it in place by laying down a layer of high density sawdust board followed by my live edge pine. I will fit the boards as close as possible and fill the voids between them with small gravel stone. The boards are from a log that lay buried in the bottom of a mill pond for 60 years so I thought gravel stone from the same river would be fitting. Some of the epoxy will need to be over an inch thick. I am sure that I need to do more than one pour any pointers would be appreciated.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
I have no experience with it myself, but EcoPoxy is one of the products that is commonly used for resin table pours, specifically their 2:1 mix stuff if I'm remembering correctly. I've seen it used for pours of 2 inches, sometimes even greater. It is a thinner and very slow setting epoxy - takes days to cure - which helps with air bubbles.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have no experience with it myself, but EcoPoxy is one of the products that is commonly used for resin table pours, specifically their 2:1 mix stuff if I'm remembering correctly. I've seen it used for pours of 2 inches, sometimes even greater. It is a thinner and very slow setting epoxy - takes days to cure - which helps with air bubbles.
Seems like the slow set would be hard to keep dust particles out of.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Seems like the slow set would be hard to keep dust particles out of.

Yeah, it might be something that you'd have to pour someplace where it can sit undisturbed without much of any foot traffic or use of anything around it for a few days. Or built a tent out of plastic drop cloth to cover it after it's poured. But, the slow set does give you the benefit of it being a lot easier to get a bubble free pour.