Any tricks for unloading an air compressor?

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I want to get a 60 gal air compressor for the shop. I'm probably going to get one from Lowes, HD, or Tractor Supply, where they will load it on my pickup. Getting it off is what I'm trying to figure out. Anyone dealt with this situation? Don't have a forklift. I can borrow a pallet jack to move it where I want it, once it's on the ground..... I'm curious how yall have dealt with this.....

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I would probably use some 2x's and a come-a-long maybe??

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Do you have a large tree you can drive under and use one of the branches? With your line-tying skills you don't need any pulleys. If a Coastie like me could do it . . . . :nodice:

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I do have a toy hauler trailer with a ramp on the back I could pick it up with. I guess I could carefully move it down the ramp with some rollers (I have a bunch of long 1.5" dowell stock)

NYWoodturner

Wood Spinner
Reaction score
First name
Scott
Have it loaded flat assuming there is no oil in there yet. Load the pallet end towards the tail gate. Put 2x4s or 2x6s on blocks, logs jack stands to make a ramp. Slide it down slowly and stand it up at the bottom. I've done it many a time. Crude but effective.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Lots of good ideas. You already have a pallet jack so all you need is a tree and a rope. Unless you have one of those gravel yards a pallet jack wont roll on.

woodman6415

Reaction score
First name
wendell
That's how I unloaded mine ... Had to use two pieces of old 3/4 plywood till I got it into shop ...
Lots of good ideas. You already have a pallet jack so all you need is a tree and a rope. Unless you have one of those gravel yards a pallet jack wont roll on.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Thanks everyone. Don't know if it will have oil in it or not. Laying flat would be a lot easier. I don't have any big trees, and I don't trust my tin roof to support the weight. I could pay for delivery, and have them pull up to my shed and set it down, just don't want to pay for it. I'm thinking I'm going to get it tomorrow (assuming I can find what I want in stock) I will let you know how it goes...

Tclem

Can't buy love. Buy wood instead
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Invite Henry and tom over for dinner. That's a good trick

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
Make a pile of boards up to the level of the truck. Slide it from the truck onto the pile, light the pile on fire and it'll burn down setting it on the ground.

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Boy these guys are a lot of help... :rofl:

Pick up a case or two of beer and a couple bags of ice, and call several neighbors/buddies and invite them over for a cold beer on your way home. Grab a pack or two of brats, buns, and chips and have lunch afterwards. A little beer goes a long ways! And, the ribbing you'll take for inviting them over to help unload the compressor, will be worth the help. (Even if you do have to feed them!)

Personally, I'd haul it on the trailer, lower to the ground, easier to unload if you can't find help. I do it all the time with the lawn mower trailer and the highlander and I have 3 skid steers, 2 two all terrain forklifts, and numerous flat bed trucks, at my disposal, as well as a pickup to drive. (Of course the pickup has 11 inches of lift and 37 inch tires on it, but...)

Whatever you haul it on, I'd haul it standing, then lay it down and slide it out over the end gate and stand it up on the ground/shop floor. (Assuming you have some way to tie it in a standing position!) The short time it will be on it's side in this manner of hauling/unloading it, won't hurt anything, whether it has oil in it or not. If it's new, I'm going to guess the oil is not in the compressor, so don't forget to pick up a quart of 30 weight non-detergent on the way home too. Synthetic compressor oil can't be beat, but you need to seat the rings first.

If you do lay it down to haul it, with pallet at the rear, be sure to tie it securely so it can't slide forward and wreck things... Like the compressor, belt guard, air lines/switches, the front of your truck box. I know I probably don't have to tell you things of this nature, but I've seen some pretty intelligent people do some pretty stupid bat guana in my day, and I'm jus sayin... The time spent tying it securely so that it doesn't slide when some little old lady pulls out in front of you, is never wasted! :cool:

Last edited:

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Thanks Rocky! I like your solution. I have plenty of cargo straps, I will make sure it is secure during transport, which will be less than 10 miles....

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
If you have not already got it unloaded. One man can handle quite a load with a appliance dolly. UHAUL and others rent them.

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
:hi:It's been known to work on a lot of projects... I had a ceiling hanging party one time; was remodeling a friend's small commercial building. Had 10 ft. ceiling in it, so we dropped it, and put suspended ceiling in. He was on a tight budget; I was working alone on the job, and it's kinda tough to hang ceiling track all by yourself. We bought a keg, cooked a few goodies on the wood stove, invited lots of help. Had 3 - 4 carpenters there, so we got about 90% of the track up, before it turned into more party than ceiling hanging. Which that's the hard part; slipping tile into the grid is pretty easy, even by yourself.

Ran out of food early, but the local grocer was walking home from the bar about 10 pm, and stopped to see what was going on. He went down, unlocked the store, and picked up sausage, buns, chips, and condiments, (free of charge to boot, we tried to pay him, but he wouldn't have it), and came back partied until the wee hours of the morning with us. It was loads of fun!!

Next day a couple of us showed up early and threw most of the tile in, couple more of the boys showed back up that night to finish the keg, the ceiling track, and cutting in pieces around the walls. Before the weekend was done we had the entire ceiling up, the keg drained, and had a ton of fun doing it.