Anybody know what this hammer was initially made or used for?

rob3232

Reaction score
First name
Rob
The head is 4" long x 5/8" thick. I am wondering what the slot and space was used for?

7ABECABA-DF88-45A6-B048-BBAE65636C59.jpeg

74F7D60A-96BE-4414-ADD2-C3CC32B0C806.jpeg

030E6C16-0354-4425-BF24-C2414F6613B9.jpeg

08DE262B-A0E8-4C4A-881C-FEEBFD1479A8.jpeg

Thanks in advance for any help. Rob

Chris Geeo

Reaction score
First name
Christopher
It's a tack hammer. Youd put the small nail in the slot and use it to start the nail

An upholstery hammer (also called a tack hammer) is a lightweight hammer used for securing upholstery fabric to furniture frames using tacks or small nails.

Many styles have two faces, one face usually being magnetized to aid in placement of tacks (this face has a split surface to make its magnetic hold stronger). Once started, the tacks are driven with the other face. To apply tacks rapidly an upholsterer will hold tacks in the mouth and spit them, head first, onto the magnetized face of the hammer.

Last edited:

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
It's a tack hammer. Youd put the small nail in the slot and use it to start the nail

An upholstery hammer (also called a tack hammer) is a lightweight hammer used for securing upholstery fabric to furniture frames using tacks or small nails.

Many styles have two faces, one face usually being magnetized to aid in placement of tacks (this face has a split surface to make its magnetic hold stronger). Once started, the tacks are driven with the other face. To apply tacks rapidly an upholsterer will hold tacks in the mouth and spit them, head first, onto the magnetized face of the hammer.
You nailed it Chris!:wink:

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Good thread! I have one too that’s been in family long as I can remember. Figures though, my mom use to do reupholster of chairs or couches instead of taking to dump like most do these days.

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
My grandmother used to do upholstery in the carport all the time. Her and Grandpa had 8 rental units, most if not all were furnished. Tenants would trash the place, wreck the upholstery, she'd go get more fabric and fix it up again for the next one.