phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
@Mr. Peet thinks it might be elm. I'm clueless (story of my life). Pic was sent to me for ID

upload_2019-12-4_9-19-59.png

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
does not have the typical eye voids of elm. but IDing burl from a picture is a fools game. JMO looks like washed out pic???

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
does not have the typical eye voids of elm. but IDing burl from a picture is a fools game. JMO looks like washed out pic???
Yeah, I agree on both counts (pic id of burl and washed out pic). Mark thinks maybe it's elm w/ a walnut stain. I'm sticking with being clueless.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
If Paul is without an decent educated guess then there's no hope for us lay people. Anyway, my favorite name for wood like this is "Mine". :sarcastic:

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Wych elm and big leaf maple were my thoughts but needed closer, magnified look at the grain. Some of the growth ring lines look wide enough to be a ring porous wood, but not clear enough to say. Elm has ulmiform graining seen in flat-stock and in burls. Better resolution needed to see if it is there. The dimensions also are why I went with the two species mentioned thus far. Burl is on a deck top, 4 pieces (2 book matched and then the other 2 book matched), each estimated to be 9"- 10" wide by x 60" long. Need big burl for that.

Last edited: