anyone else having troubles w/ WB and FireFox?

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
I spend a lot of time on the Physics Forum, which uses exactly the same base server code as WB and both of the sites for the last few days have turned my computer into a doorstop about once a day when I open one under FireFox.

Mouse freezes, keyboard non-responsive, hard restart is the only solution.

Clearly some "upgrade" in the base server software is creating a very severe conflict with FireFox.

MattW

Server Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Matt
I also administrate the server hosting physics forum. They haven't updated the Xenforo software, and the server hosting that site is built totally different to this one, so I suspect it's something specific to your Firefox.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I also administrate the server hosting physics forum. They haven't updated the Xenforo software, and the server hosting that site is built totally different to this one, so I suspect it's something specific to your Firefox.
OK. As I mentioned on PF, I upgraded from a 32-bit version to a 64 bit version of FireFox and still have the problem. I thought that ruled out FireFox as the problem but maybe not. There is undoubtedly shared code in the two versions.

BUT ... why does this only seem to happen with PF and WB? That just doesn't seem like a coincidence.

I'm not sure but it seems to happen more with WB.

MattW

Server Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Matt
OK. As I mentioned on PF, I upgraded from a 32-bit version to a 64 bit version of FireFox and still have the problem. I thought that ruled out FireFox as the problem but maybe not. There is undoubtedly shared code in the two versions.

BUT ... why does this only seem to happen with PF and WB? That just doesn't seem like a coincidence.

I'm not sure but it seems to happen more with WB.
32bit vs 64bit doesn't rule out Firefox. Using an alternative browser such as Chrome or Edge and seeing if it happens in there will rule out FF if it still happens or not.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
32bit vs 64bit doesn't rule out Firefox. Using an alternative browser such as Chrome or Edge and seeing if it happens in there will rule out FF if it still happens or not.
I don't use any other browsers (I could but I dislike them all) but it doesn't seem I really need to since the guy over on PF said he uses IE and Chrome and neither one of them cause the problem. I'm not likely to get different results am I?

MattW

Server Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Only you are having any issues. I use Firefox as a second browser for testing purposes, and it works fine with this site and PF. I can't really suggest anything else to you if you won't try another browser. It could be something related to your specific system, but again, I can't fix something on your end. I can only fix issues with the site itself or the server.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I'm having lag issues with ff on every site I visit. But if I use chrome for the same ones, they are faster and no lag. I noticed two updates ago, that ff had lag and connection issues. I reported it to them, but only got the canned reply message of thanks.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Only you are having any issues. I use Firefox as a second browser for testing purposes, and it works fine with this site and PF. I can't really suggest anything else to you if you won't try another browser. It could be something related to your specific system, but again, I can't fix something on your end. I can only fix issues with the site itself or the server.
OK, thanks Matt. I appreciate your looking into it.

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Have you tried resetting things in Task Manager Paul?

When it locks up, do the ~ Ctrl-Alt-Delete all at once ~ option.
Select "Task Manager" at the options window.

Once Task Manager is open, find your Firefox and see how much resources it's using up. All of my browsers have some sort of issue rendering web pages at times, some much more than others. Facebook is extremely ugly, with all of the ads, and videos trying to preload/load. All of the clickbank webpages off of Farcebook are terrible as well. Woodbarter is actually one of the few pages that I seldom see trouble on, in fact it works flawlessly unless I have other pages open in the background. Preloading ads seems to be the culprit, the more ads, the more trouble I have, because my ad blocker holds things up, and I get stupid messages to turn my ad blocker off for better browser performance. Personally, I think they need to turn all the 87 friggin ads they're calling from other servers off, for better browser performance.

At any rate, find the FireFox line in Task Manager that's using up all the resources, there will be several, click on it to highlight it, (can be challenging it moves constantly), and click "End Task" bottom right corner. It will cause the web page to crash, (if it doesn't find another to click until it does), should give you a link to reopen the page, and you should be able to restart it, and run for a while, before it crashes again, although that's not always the case.

And, I've seen that in Microsoft Edge, IE, Slimbrowser which uses the IE browser engine, Commodo Dragon which uses the Chrome browser engine, and Firefox, 32 bit and 64 bit versions, so it's something deeper in the system that's controlling the rendering process on mine.

Ending the task and crashing the page, will however unlock the cursor, and restore function to the browser controls, so you can exit, or reload the page and carry on.

Last edited:

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Have you tried resetting things in Task Manager Paul?

When it locks up, do the ~ Ctrl-Alt-Delete all at once ~ option.
You must have missed my saying that EVERYTHING locks up. You can't do a soft reset when the keyboard doesn't respond.

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Yep missed that Paul... Everything but keyboard locks up on mine.

Do you have CCleaner installed by chance? Went through mine with everything recently, Malware Bytes, CCleaner, Microsoft Security Software, AVG, (have the whole tool package there anti-virus, optimizer, driver manager), Defragged, but doing the Registry Fix, and cleaning with CCleaner seemed to help more than anything else.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Yep missed that Paul... Everything but keyboard locks up on mine.

Do you have CCleaner installed by chance? Went through mine with everything recently, Malware Bytes, CCleaner, Microsoft Security Software, AVG, (have the whole tool package there anti-virus, optimizer, driver manager), Defragged, but doing the Registry Fix, and cleaning with CCleaner seemed to help more than anything else.
Yeah, I've got CCleaner and other stuff which I run occasionally but have not for quite a while. I'll crank it up.