Anyone making a mess this weekend?

Brandon Sloan

Reaction score
First name
Brandon
I made a huge mess today. Easily the biggest mess between cleanings for me. I roughed 14 bowls, it was the last of the Alaskan birch blanks I had cut earlier this year. I wanted to have everything roughed before I move. I’m planning on bringing them with me.

Post y’alls dirty floors, I can’t be the only one making shavings.

FDC12FC4-1636-45EF-8B4D-F718EFCB49A7.jpeg

5F4FDA9B-AACE-43E5-B17D-D9A4225EE577.jpeg

842EAC11-307A-4E27-BF25-B8F4BE6361B0.jpeg

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
The amount of shavings I made today would easily fit in your smallest roughout. All I did was to round out some small pieces of maple to test wood burner settings and test dye markers on before proceeding with basket illusion piece.

20200711_204647.jpg

Brandon Sloan

Reaction score
First name
Brandon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That’s cool @trc65 do you have a small set of tools for doing small stuff?

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
No, that was just turned between centers with a 5/8" bowl gouge on the outside and 3/8" spindle gouge on the inside. Beads are made with D-way beading tool (1/8").

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
The amount of shavings I made today would easily fit in your smallest roughout. All I did was to round out some small pieces of maple to test wood burner settings and test dye markers on before proceeding with basket illusion piece.

View attachment 190358
Tim, that looks like one of my tiny bowls!
20200627_150357.jpg

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Nah, yours is much nicer! Great use for small cutoffs. What is that you are holding the bowl with, a small collet?

Besides, mine isn't even fully hollowed. Just cut enough so I could also practice burning herringbone weave on the rim.

20200711_223551.jpg

TXMoon

Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Nope, it's been too flippn' hot. I haven't made anything in over two weeks. I went into the garage this morning and it was already that the heat level I usually call it quits.

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Yesterday about 3:00 pm I came in from the shop, first time in a long time the heat was too much. Feel like temp about 110°

SubVet10

Veteran, Author, Maker
Reaction score
First name
Brandon
Nope, it's been too flippn' hot. I haven't made anything in over two weeks. I went into the garage this morning and it was already that the heat level I usually call it quits.
Yesterday about 3:00 pm I came in from the shop, first time in a long time the heat was too much. Feel like temp about 110°

It was hot for sure. But I did not find it unbearable. It is the humidity that gets me. I had a liter of cold brew coffee to keep me going.
Stay thirsty (hydrated) my friends!

And, @Brandon Sloan that is one epic pile of shavings. Kindling for a life time. The next time I do a good acrylic pen I will try and remember to snap a pic of those spoils.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Nah, yours is much nicer! Great use for small cutoffs. What is that you are holding the bowl with, a small collet?

Besides, mine isn't even fully hollowed. Just cut enough so I could also practice burning herringbone weave on the rim.

View attachment 190363

It's an expanding collet chuck, I drill a recess with a forstner bit for it.

Brandon Sloan

Reaction score
First name
Brandon
I’m starting to remember Texas summers. Walking outside and feeling like someone immediately removed your batteries. Most people don’t even have air conditioning up here. I always miss Texas in the winter when it’s -30.

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Good Heavens! Where in the heck did you find room to stand? Kind of like walking out of a snow drift afterwards. Reminds me of my days at the circle mill. There was always crap on the floor and me running back and forth in front of the 5' blade. He didn't like me wasting time, but I finally said Frack You, I cleaning up so I have good footing. Had nightmares about slipping into that blade.

Brandon Sloan

Reaction score
First name
Brandon
Good Heavens! Where in the heck did you find room to stand? Kind of like walking out of a snow drift afterwards. Reminds me of my days at the circle mill. There was always crap on the floor and me running back and forth in front of the 5' blade. He didn't like me wasting time, but I finally said Frack You, I cleaning up so I have good footing. Had nightmares about slipping into that blade.
I Just kick the shavings out of the way. It helps me stay out of the line of Fire. On these rough outs, I try to average about 6 mins on the outside and 4 to 5 mins on the inside. The shavings build up fast. Plus, I don’t have to move much when roughing. I couldn’t imagine running around a 5’ blade on dirty floors.

SubVet10

Veteran, Author, Maker
Reaction score
First name
Brandon
I’m starting to remember Texas summers. Walking outside and feeling like someone immediately removed your batteries. Most people don’t even have air conditioning up here. I always miss Texas in the winter when it’s -30.
I'm from Western Washington State originally. I never thought about it until my wife (from Houston) lived with me there for a year. To say the least is was an unpleasant summer for her. Of course, growing up, there was a time you could leave the doors and windows open at night and not worry about four or two legged critters getting in.
My only experience with Alaska was someone thought it would be a grand idea to go hang out there in February. Ran into a squall that had 30-40 ft waves, 30-60mph winds and was between -30 to -60F . The only good thing about that was your body can't tell the difference past -40.

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
My only experience with Alaska was someone thought it would be a grand idea to go hang out there in February. Ran into a squall that had 30-40 ft waves, 30-60mph winds and was between -30 to -60F . The only good thing about that was your body can't tell the difference past 40
@SubVet10 Hey Brandon I fixed it for you. Somehow a hyphen git fatfingered in front of the 40. Ain't that right @Tony

SubVet10

Veteran, Author, Maker
Reaction score
First name
Brandon
@SubVet10 Hey Brandon I fixed it for you. Somehow a hyphen git fatfingered in front of the 40. Ain't that right @Tony
Unfortunately, no, I did not. It was minus 40. Colder with the wind chill. The funny thing about minus 40 is -40F and -40C are the same. And the human body cannot fell temperature differences colder than that.