Anyone own a Craftsman 4 X 36 belt sander ?

Herb G.

Reaction score
First name
Herb
If you own a 4 X 36" Craftsman belt sander with a 6" disc, and you need a new drive belt, I have a link for one.
Sears wants $28 for it, but it's only $6 at Amazon.

Link for belt.
www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMIIPFA

Pic of sander.

beltsander.jpg

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Looks a whole lot like my Harbor Freight sander in many respects. I wonder if they wouldn't run the same belt?

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Appears they run a small V-Belt on the Harbor Freight unit. But I would imagine if I could find a number Amazon has it. Bearings on the ends of the steering cylinder were badly worn on my tractor, John Deere parts book has numbers for everything on that front end down to the grease zerks; doesn't show those bearings. Pulled the old one, Googled the number, first link that popped up was Amazon, for about 20% of what I was expecting to pay.

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
Appears they run a small V-Belt on the Harbor Freight unit. But I would imagine if I could find a number Amazon has it. Bearings on the ends of the steering cylinder were badly worn on my tractor, John Deere parts book has numbers for everything on that front end down to the grease zerks; doesn't show those bearings. Pulled the old one, Googled the number, first link that popped up was Amazon, for about 20% of what I was expecting to pay.

It amazing what JD doesn't have any more. Bearings and belts are just the tip of the unobtanium iceberg.

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
It amazing what JD doesn't have any more. Bearings and belts are just the tip of the unobtanium iceberg.

What's even more amazing is what they want for what they do have! Steering cylinder on that thing is a simple little 1 1/2" OD x about 20" long cylinder, round housing with 2 snap ring grooves, on both ends. It's a 2 wheel drive 5105, not a big tractor. Told the guys at the hydraulic shop I certainly hoped they could fix it, because I sure didn't want to buy it.

They looked up John Deere parts trying to find the bearings. I walked in to pick it up and we weren't but a little bit into that conversation when he said, "Do you know how damn much they want for that cylinder?" This is coming from a guy that works on hydraulic cylinders for a living; I assumed at that point that my assessment of their price being really flippin ridiculous was correct! But yeah... $1250 for that simple little hydraulic cylinder! It's maybe worth $250 in a generic cylinder, and it doesn't even have that special John Deere green paint on it that makes everything cost 12 times as much; it's flat black!