Are you prepared?

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Well, God first. We have our retirement home plans and that isn’t really “prepping” but we have decided to move the moving timetable way up. If all goes right we will be in our smallish trailer full time by mid-June to try to beat the economy/political situation that may come up. The housing market here in the Springs is just nuts and we want to take advantage of that and not lose the opportunity. I will not make a fortune on the house, but it will be enough to position us to seriously consider retirement. House won’t be set until October due to demand and then another 6 to 8 weeks to finish. Bu we feel the need to get out of our current home as soon as we can.

As many of y’all, our new 10 acres are out in the country. I would not call it the boon, we have neighbors a lot closer than Tim does. But it is far enough to get us out of the junk of the city. We are a good 30 minutes from downtown Colorado Springs. Also far enough to shelter. Yes, after this past year we watch what food is available and ensure we don’t run out of staples.

I have enough guns and ammo that I am comfortable. I love to shoot, just don’t go often enough. When ammo is available, I buy, but I don’t hoard. Just frustrating to see how many do. Because of the construction I have ended up with 2 generators. We will also have the shop before the house, so we can expand and spread out. We can also use it to adapt if we need to.

But to be honest, I hate thinking like this. I don’t want to feel this way. I don’t want to see the riot of Jan at the Capitol just like it makes my heart ache to see reruns of 9- 11.

Very interesting question Eric, very interesting.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
We keep about a 6 month supply of frozen foods and canned goods and I have an 8000 watt portable generator that can keep our critical stuff operating. I have two barns of lumber that could become firewood if necessary for our three fireplaces. Since we often lose power here in the country, we keep about 20 gallons of drinking water at all times but our well pump can also be run off the generator. So we could go a while without external utilities. We cook with propane and heat water with oil so those would still work with a line from the generator to the water tank oil burner. Hopefully will never have to depend on all of this.

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd love to have 100 acres. Better yet, I'd like to have the 4700 acre farm I hunt on but my budget says more like 20.