Article 16 of the Vermont Constitution

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Thought some of you might enjoy this

Chapter I - Article 16 - Right to bear arms; standing armies; military power subordinate to civil

That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State--and as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; and that the military should be kept under strict subordination to and governed by the civil power.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Most cons have a similar clause, but the federal mafia ignores them just as it ignores the one in the federal con.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Most cons have a similar clause, but the federal mafia ignores them just as it ignores the one in the federal con.
Well so far ours is holding up, I can still carry a firearm concealed or open almost anywhere in the state with no permit. The obvious places are excluded, court houses, schools and the like.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Well so far ours is holding up, I can still carry a firearm concealed or open almost anywhere in the state with no permit. The obvious places are excluded, court houses, schools and the like.

That's not the point. You could in NOLA too until they unlawfully went door-to-door confiscating them. Where was the constitution then? Your constitution is no stronger than any other if they get a hard-on to ignore it.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc

HomeBody

Reaction score
First name
Gary
They forgot to add Illinois. We had a line in our 1969 updated constitution saying, "The people have the right to bear arms, subject to police power." Sometime in the 80's I think, that line "disappeared" from our constitution. Voted away in the middle of the night by Chicago politicians. Gary