Ash vessel question

Albert Kiebert

Reaction score
First name
Albert
Ok guys, looking for your opinions on this shape. Whole log with pith running thru center which is full of big holes and some decay. Trying to keep pith in center.
Plan is to hollow thru no more than 3/4” hole keeping bark intact as more as I can. No foot. Top (fake looking lid ?) will be part of finished look

What do you think of shape?? Do I Increase curve on top half more, round bottom half more or what ??🤔🤔

310D332A-C390-4784-9F45-5F308724BCC4.jpeg

498F9DAB-CDE7-430E-9F90-A015500E42FB.jpeg

AB6543E0-957F-4752-A0AD-84B34B76BD2C.jpeg

7C2AD5D6-2768-4C49-840D-AE56DE315F1C.jpeg

8D0186D2-C998-4BCB-BCE9-7FD47E42C892.jpeg

Last edited:

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Imo I think its bottom heavy. Needs to be reduced a bit. Or shorten the top down.

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Albert, please forgive me, but that chuck makes that wood’s a$$ look big. I am so sorry, that shape just left out at me for some reason. I truly think @woodtickgreg stated it much more eloquently!!

again, please forgive me, that was just the first impression. I am trying to make a suggestion that doesn’t remove too much wood. What I think I am seeing is to make the bottom piece a third of the total height; that is, stretch the curve of the top lower.

not sure I explained that very well, thin the neck and bring it down to 2 thirds the height.......I’m going to quit now......

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Design by committee is always messy, but it never stopped me from jumping in. :wink:

The transition where the bottom flares out at the widest and then curves in to the neck looks a little blocky to me. I think I might try to remove some of the wood at the widest part and give a softer curve where it transitions to the neck. Might also narrow the neck and the top (if possible to still keep your lid).

Shortening the top as Greg mentioned is another good suggestion.

One final thought, instead of having the neck gently slope to the top and end at an angle at the lid, how about changing that curve so that the neck has a short vertical section that is visible just below the lid.

Albert Kiebert

Reaction score
First name
Albert
Thanks to all for the response and advise given. I too think reducing the bottom some and cleaning up the curve from middle to bottom. Also plan on brining in the curve from middle to top with it finishing up straight into the "lid" Lets see what happens. Will post update photo...

duncsuss

Trying to turn a little better each day
Reaction score
First name
Duncan
Albert, while I like the direction this is heading, I would stop for a minute and think about the transition from the main body of the form to the neck (for want of a better word).

Do you want it to be a smooth curve? If so, it looks like it's close but not quite right - my ideal is a "spline curve" - no sudden changes in direction, and no sudden changes in the rate of change of direction.

One alternative would be to make the transition from the body to the neck a sharp change, rather than a curve, which would allow you to make both the upper and the lower parts smooth curves (with an angular transition where they meet.)

Albert Kiebert

Reaction score
First name
Albert
Do you want it to be a smooth curve? If so, it looks like it's close but not quite right - my ideal is a "spline curve" - no sudden changes in direction, and no sudden changes in the rate of change of direction.
Spline curve is where I was thinking of going with this but I stopped And almost went to the sharp transition that you also mention. Plenty of wood left to go either way with this only roughed out. Had to look up “spline curve” 🤔 I’m not much with math, just use the minds eye to find what is pleasing to look at most of the time. Thanks for the advice....Al

duncsuss

Trying to turn a little better each day
Reaction score
First name
Duncan
Had to look up “spline curve” 🤔 I’m not much with math, just use the minds eye to find what is pleasing to look at most of the time.
My way of getting a smooth curve is to stop the lathe and move the bowl gouge along the path, riding the bevel the entire way. If I have to make any sudden changes in the position of my body or the handle, there's something wrong. My hand on the end of the tool handle should be gently waving from side to side the entire length of the cut, it can move faster or slower but it should transition smoothly between fast and slow (no sudden acceleration or braking).

Hope this helps - good luck :good2:

Albert Kiebert

Reaction score
First name
Albert
So, here are some follow up shots showing were I ended up with the shape of this piece. Thanks to all that gave advice, hopefully you can see where I at least listened.
Hollowed our to 1/4” wall. Stopped there because some rot started falling out and I choose not to use epoxy, thu I did use a bit of CA.
Still in chuck, gotta finish sanding and cut off bottom. Covered chuck so it would not interfere with piece.

153596FB-0A96-4BCB-AA5F-A300CA5C9780.jpeg

801C4E0C-24A0-49EB-9811-A828084DE9BB.jpeg

9351D70F-9F7E-4E5D-9122-FC26020ABFAA.jpeg

DEDB0CC4-B257-4211-B648-3526835DBEF4.jpeg

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
That's better, Albert. it's a nice looking chunk of wood except where the punky stuff is........... Jerry (in Tucson)