Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Auction bowl- Mesquite

Discussion in 'Turners' Completed Projects' started by David Hill, Mar 14, 2019.

1. David Hill

David Hill I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite. Full Member Thread Starter

Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
    First name:
    David
    Our local Hospitsl Foundation hosts a Gala event that features an auction that has unique auction items. I wad asked if I could donate a couple of bowls— Sure! Said I. Oh—- and can they be larger AND have turquoise?
    This is the first of the two, started with a blank that I thought would meet criteria—- wasn’t disappointed. Thought at first that it eouldn’t survive as it was really ugly.
    It’s 14.5 x 3.5 inches. Took a bit of turquoise with epoxy, and the finish is poly.

9D19D766-5EB2-4AA2-B473-359CF557B25E.jpeg

88263E06-718C-4A1A-8D98-526DFA206F86.jpeg

5FD5B2AC-914F-4C9F-A46C-F1AB6F642CD6.jpeg

F4833FD9-4E73-48C7-BE23-8212D63FFFD3.jpeg

• EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 7
    • Like Like x 4
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 4
  2. Gdurfey

Gdurfey Member Full Member

First name:
    Garry
    Incredible, and what a gift to the cause.

3. Nubsnstubs

Nubsnstubs Where is it??? Full Member

First name:
    Jerry
    David, good looking bowl you got there. Someone is going to love it.

One question. How often do you encounter those black cracks in the Mesquite you turn? The bowl shown doesn't look like it would pose a problem, but I've had a bunch that just separated at the black crack if it went all the way across. Even while rounding it on the band saw. ................ Jerry (in Tucson)

4. David Hill

David Hill I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite. Full Member Thread Starter

Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
    First name:
    David
    First question-- it depends,,,,,
    Good point!!
    Those you have to be really careful with!! I don't blow up many, but invariably it'll be one with the black lines. If they go all the way across I usually repurpose that blank. NO amount of CA will hold that Guessing that it's a fungus that follows the crack. Also see these on tress that have been in piles after being bulldozed. (I try to stay away from bulldozed skeet, just too many hidden cracks)
    If I'm selling I won't let one leave that has the black lines.
    Have one that I'll post soon that has some of those.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
Current Time: 5:52 PM