Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Aussie oil

Discussion in 'Sanding & Finishing - Woodturning' started by Bean_counter, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Bean_counter

Bean_counter Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Michael
    anyone tried it? How does it handle normal wear and tear? I bought some to use on finials but was thinking it would be easy to put on slimlines

2. Tom Smart

Tom Smart Member Full Member

First name:
    Tom
    I use it and like it. Applies easy and quick. Pricey but a little goes a long way. Produces an adequate gloss but not to the level of a high quality CA finish, which is fine by me. Wish I could give you a good answer on how it wears but I don’t have real evidence. I see no reason why it wouldn’t holdup though.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  3. Bean_counter

Bean_counter Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Michael
    Thanks Tom that is what I am looking for.

4. Rich P.

Rich P. Member Full Member

First name:
    Richard
    Sorry I did not see this thread earlier. I have used it off and on for a few years since it came out. I used the shellawax Friction Polish before this one. It holds up pretty well. I always put several coats on to build up a finish let it sit a day and I apply a wax finish after.
    I use this instead of a CA finish on things I turn with shapes that would be hard to finish with CA. I have had a few emails with the company in Australia that makes it and they feel it is as hard as any shellac type finish on the market and easier to apply. They would not answer what was better for pens, the original or the Aussie Oil.
    To answer, I always have a bottle near the lathe and have never been disappointed in the end result.
    Rich

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
Current Time: 8:43 AM