1. To all members, we have made some changes to the rules. We encourage you to take a moment and re-acquaint yourself with the rules.

Back to the loading bench

Discussion in 'Lock, Stock, and Barrel' started by sprucegum, Mar 23, 2020.

1. sprucegum

sprucegum Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Dave
    With building our new house and moving I haven't had time for reloading and shooting.
    With all that is going on in the world time is easier to find so this weekend I unpacked my reloading stuff. All day Saturday was spent sorting and cleaning things and Sunday morning I got the presses mounted and the bench organized. Sunday afternoon I loaded a few for my Ruger .327 federal single 7. I have had the gun a few years and just haven't had time to shoot It. Went out in the woods behind the house and unloaded a couple cylinders into a tree stump. Maybe I will put up a proper target next time.

20200322_144421.jpg

• Like Like x 10
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Nature Man

Nature Man Member Full Member

First name:
    Chuck
    Congrats on finding time for other important things! Chuck

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Gdurfey

Gdurfey Member Full Member

First name:
    Garry
    @sprucegum , thanks for sharing. Not keeping up with the shooting and new loads. Very interesting; just looked it up online. Which model pistol do you have; the standard SP101 or do you have a birds head grip pistol? just curious...…...

• Like Like x 1
  4. sprucegum

First name:
    Dave
    Mine is the single 7 which uses the same frame as the single 6 .22 rimfire . It has a beefed up 7 shot cylinder. The first one I had was a GP 100 double action, when ruger stopped making them I sold it for 3x what I paid. The single 7 was a special run sold exclusively by Davidsons . Mine is the 4 5/8" barrel. Makes a nice accurate piece to carry around on woods walks and backwoods fishing trips. Packs about the same punch as the .357 mag with less recoil. Another nice feature is that it will shoot all of the rimmed. 32 caliber rounds.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Eric Rorabaugh

Eric Rorabaugh Member Full Member

First name:
    Eric
    Glad you got back to the bench. I actually went down and loaded some the other night. May do more tonight.

• Like Like x 3
  6. sprucegum

First name:
    Dave
    I find it relaxing. Sometimes I pour a nice drink of bourbon and just do case prep or organize, always handle powder and primers without the whiskey. :old:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Eric Rorabaugh

First name:
    Eric
    It is relaxing. A buddy of mine just ordered his stuff to start. I sent him a bunch of brass. I told him he will enjoy it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. JerseyHighlander

JerseyHighlander Member Full Member

First name:
    Kyle
    Given the stupidity going on out there, I finally dug out my old RCBS Rockchucker. Managed to get a shipment of components for a couple calibers just in time.

Did a little woodworking/gunsmithing to re-stock my Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 and put a scope on it.

IMG_1458.JPG

IMG_1462.JPG

• Way Cool Way Cool x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Eric Rorabaugh

First name:
    Eric
    Beautiful firearm right there. Really good shape!

• Like Like x 1
  10. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

First name:
    Marc
    I love this. I love that gun. I love it all!

11. sprucegum

First name:
    Dave
    Nice gun but we need to talk about that bench :sofa:

• Funny Funny x 4
  12. JerseyHighlander

First name:
    Kyle
    Trust me, I know... Don't even get me started.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Gdurfey

Gdurfey Member Full Member

First name:
    Garry
    @sprucegum , thanks for the info. I have an old single six that I sent in for the safety block update. However, Ruger made me a real fan; they sent the original parts back to me. Had them do me a magnum cylinder at the same time; mine only came with the 22LR cylinder. Also, I love convertibles; have wanted the 45LC/45ACP version for a long time; just have never sprung for it. I shoot a lot of 45 ACP and reload, just seemed to be a nice combination to have some day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. sprucegum

First name:
    Dave

I have a old model single 6 with both cylinders. I don't plan on ever having the conversion done. Just carry it hammer down on a empty cylinder. 5 beans in the wheel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. JerseyHighlander

First name:
    Kyle
    You got me curious, I wasn't familiar with the .327, had to look it up. From the perspective of the picture, it looked like you were somehow reloading 22.lr...

That's a pretty cool round with some sweet ballistics. Probably dirt cheap to reload too? I found this video of a guy shooting it out of a Henry Rifle. I think I must have one. Or maybe two.

• Like Like x 1
  16. sprucegum

First name:
    Dave
    Yes it is pretty reasonable to reload paper punching stuff. I have been loading 90 gr. semi wadcutters with 2.5 gr. of tight group. Quality jacketed hollow points still cost money but fortunately I have a couple hundred that I bought some time ago and I also have well over a pound of Lil gun powder which is really good in hotter loads. When I was loading a lot I was always trying new things and trading guns, as a result I have quite a variety of bullets and powder as well as a good stock of primers. Even if I cant buy any components I will be able to find a load that will work for every firearm that I own.

• Like Like x 2
  17. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Founding Member Full Member Forum Moderator

First name:
    Greg
    Reloading is something I always wanted to do. It just seems the money always goes to something else. I have a ton of brass for my 44 mag and 9 mm. I still say someday. I've even thought about casting my own bullets for the 44 as I have a bunch of lead.

• Like Like x 3
  18. JerseyHighlander

First name:
    Kyle
    Ahh, the infamous "someday"... My "someday" list has grown huge over the years. But if you are shooting 44 mag, often enough, you can save a good amount of money by loading your own. The RCBS Rockchucker press is not bad at all in price and works great. The bullet casting thing is a whole other level that I know next to nothing about but if you've lots of lead, go for it.
    Most people don't consider reloading 9mm to be worthwhile, given the time it takes, relatively low cost of factory ammo and mostly the rate you go through it. But if you're looking to load specialty rounds or need high accuracy for competition, that changes the curve a good bit. 44 mag, would definitely be worth it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. JerseyHighlander

First name:
    Kyle
    Reminds me of a story a friend told when we were young. His dad had loaded up a batch of high power rifle ammo and grabbed the wrong bottle of powder... Loaded them with Magnum pistol powder & blew up a very nice hunting rifle. Most certainly a time to be at your best.
    I may have a beer or two while doing case prep stuff also but if I get tempted to keep going, I remind myself of that story and my perspective on the rifle bolt when I pull the trigger.

• Sincere Sincere x 2
  20. sprucegum

First name:
    Dave
    If you want to load mostly pistol calibers I recommend the Lee auto indexing turret press with the auto disk powder measure. Very economical and fast, it will also work fine for loading bigger stuff. The Lyman reloading manual has the most complete and easy to understand how to information. I have 2 presses the Lee turret and a lyman turret press.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
Current Time: 12:04 PM