Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Bark, tree of the northeast

Discussion in 'Useful Woods of The World' started by Mr. Peet, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Mr. Peet

Mr. Peet Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Mark
    I picked this book up the other day. Michael Wojtech does a great job with putting this book together. This soft cover book has some background terms and a great preface of information before getting into the great color photographs of the multiple bark stages the tree goes through over a typical life. There are several that are not covered, but a very good job on those covered. There are also a few species covered that he lacked covering a bark phase.

The only BIG downfall is the title, Bark, A field guide to trees of the Northeast, is very misleading. It actually only covers New England, Maine and eastern New York of the USA, versus that traditionally known as the northeast USA.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. sprucegum

sprucegum Member Full Member

First name:
    Dave
    Sounds like NE to me, around here Ne means Maine , NH, and VT north of US rt 302. :lol::sofa:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  3. Pharmacyguy-Jim

Pharmacyguy-Jim Member Full Member

First name:
    Jerry
    What’s your definition of Northeast? I’ve kind of thought of everything north of Long Island as the “Northeast”. I’ve also always thought of Northeast and New England as being interchangeable.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  4. Mr. Peet

Mr. Peet Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Mark
    Historically, the Mason Dixon line separated the north from the south. So when creating regions for the USDA and other governmental divisions, Pennsylvania north was the Northeast east, having the Great Lakes as the western boundary. Most Mainers say they are from Maine, not New England. City folks might say otherwise, but Mainers are from Maine.... so does that make any sense...?,...

Current Time: 6:43 PM