Basket Illusion Platter

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Just put the finish on this cherry platter last night; all 11,000+ little beads. The design was inspired from an Apache tray done in the early 1900's. I turned this green which did two things. On the end graid there is some tear out and being turned thin and green it allowed the piece to warp a fair amount. I think both add to the realistic appearance of being a "basket" vs. wood that has been colored in. 11.5" in diameter.

Polish_20210221_080608538.jpg

Polish_20210220_214723877.jpg

Polish_20210220_214559880.jpg

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
As soon as I have the opportunity to uncross my eyes i will look at this closer. As for now I will just sit and admire the swirling! Awesome platter!!!!

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Outstanding Steve!

Love the pattern, but holey cow, that had to take a huge amount of time to lay out and color. Those rows of alternate stitches colored had to about drive you nuts. Straight lines are easy, individual stitches drive me crazy.

You're correct on the warping and small inconsistencies, really add to the look of the platter. Very well done. :good2:

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Wow Steve, go big or go home said you!!! Incredible!! Geeeeezzzzzzzzzzz.........

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
Incredible work Steve:good2:! Appreciate the love, devotion and dedication you put into your work(s). Geometry reminds of mosaics in an interior classical dome or a mosaic/tile medallion flooring in a classical building.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Wowzer! That's a beauty, are my eyes playing trkcks, or did you use different colors of Ink?

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wowzer! That's a beauty, are my eyes playing trkcks, or did you use different colors of Ink?

Thanks Barry! It's all one color, brown. However, it definitely looks a little off sitting on our coffee table and the white background makes it look almost black. The brown ink and cherry color, coupled with the burning, make it look old, which I think is a cool effect. On two sides, the rim is white as it's the sap wood, so that may be impacting the "different" color look as well. Overall it has a more of a light brownish look.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Nice try. Take a picture of a basket and try to pawn if off as extraordinary woodworking skill. What's next - a photo of your dog and tell us you carved it from wood?

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
:shok:That is friggin amazing, i can't look at it for to long it gives me a headache.

tocws2002

Reaction score
First name
-jason
That's an awesome piece, very cool! Being a platter, is there much dept or profile to the piece? Can you post a profile pic, would love to see the shape of the "basket".

-jason

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's an awesome piece, very cool! Being a platter, is there much dept or profile to the piece? Can you post a profile pic, would love to see the shape of the "basket".

-jason

Thanks Jason, and everyone else!

It's about 1.25" in height. I'm finding that taking pictures of a platter is harder than one might think, for that very reason. Here are are few more pics though.

I might have to invest in a proper backdrop and a few lights soon. Just one more thing to add to the ever growing list of wants!

Polish_20210223_144609815.jpg

Polish_20210223_144130020.jpg

Polish_20210223_144000878.jpg

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
I resisted asking for a profile picture after your description. That really adds to the deception. Very cool!!

tocws2002

Reaction score
First name
-jason