Basket Illusion Process

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
This is the next rabbit hole I've chosen to dive into, and I thought I'd post progress of the "build" so others could follow along and maybe we can learn a little from each other.

There are many different styles of basket illusion, but generally fall into two categories. The first was made famous by David Nittmann and uses uniformly spaced radial lines. Some call this style mosaic or beaded baskets.

The other is a style that Jim Adkins developed sometimes called a coiled basket illusion that mimics more closely the stitches in Native American baskets. It is this style I'm going to use.

Just a note on tools. I'm using the D-Way 1/8" beading tool as well as their teardrop tool for the beads. For burning the stitches, I'm using PJL Enterprises Optima basket illusion tip. This tip was made specifically for the D-Way beading tool. I'll be using a skew tip to burn the weaving on the rim and foot. The coloring will be done with Copic brand original markers with superfine nibs.

I'm using hard maple for the bowl.

Not trying to mimic any specific basket or platter with this project, just trying to get methods developed. I've yet to choose a design, have several in mind, but need to look through books again to make final decision.

Started with blank cut from an 8/4 board between centers, cut a tenon and shaped the bottom of the bowl. I then cut beads starting at the tenon and worked my way towards the rim. Stopped with the beads about 1/4" from the rim and cut the start of a larger bead.

IMG_3224-01.jpeg

Then mounted the black in the chuck and hollowed the bowl. Thickness is just slightly larger than 1/4". Can't go much thinner with 1/8" beads on both surfaces. Started cutting the beads at the center and worked my way out to the rim. Hardest part of cutting the beads is maintaining the correct angles around the curves. Although i made a handle for the beading tool, i had to use it without to get it where it needed to be.

IMG_3223-01.jpeg

After cutting the interior beads, formed a larger bead for the rim ~1/4". Then mounted in Cole jaws to cut the tenon and finish the bottom.

IMG_3226-01.jpeg

Cut a 3/16" bead for the foot (which will have a weave pattern burned in), left a little flat area to add info and signature, and then finished with a few more beads.

This completes the lathe work, but i will remount it to draw guide lines once I decide on a design.

IMG_3228-01.jpeg

The bowl is 6 1/2" diameter and 1 7/8" tall. I have about 2 hours into the bowl right now, with many more to go of burning and coloring.

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Thanks Tim, great writing and pictures. We had a demo on this technique and can't remember a thing about it except I was fascinated. Still am!!! I know my lathe has some indexing in the spindle lock; but not sure they are fine enough to actually give you the segmenting you desire. Looking forward to chapter 2.

William Tanner

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Looking forward to following along on this one Tim. Not tried it myself. I had scheduled a demo on this for my club but of course I had to cancel it.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Very cool! Jim Adkins is a good friend of mine and a hell of nice guy. I’m the proud owner of several of his pieces, and I even convinced him to show me how to do a piece a few years back. I damn near went cross-eyed burning all those little lines!:wonky:

Wildthings

ASTROS 2019 WORLD CHAMPION VIDEO PLAYERS
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Very cool! Jim Adkins is a good friend of mine and a hell of nice guy. I’m the proud owner of several of his pieces, and I even convinced him to show me how to do a piece a few years back. I damn near went cross-eyed burning all those little lines!:wonky:
Not true without pictures!!

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Thanks for sharing Tim!

Just wait to start burning and then coloring; hope you have a comfy chair :sofa:

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
All those little lines is the reason I'm starting with a small open bowl! I'd hate to start with a ten or twelve inch basket, might drive me crazy. I can manage about an hour at a time burning, but after that my whole body needs a rest.

This probably won't be a quick project, but gives me something to do late at night that won't make any noise.

Fantastic that you are friends with Jim. Sometimes wish I could get some lessons, but then that takes away some of the joy of discovery.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for sharing Tim!

Just wait to start burning and then coloring; hope you have a comfy chair :sofa:
Not really, most of what I've done is while sitting on an old wooden stool, may have to do something about that.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I have no idea what this is going to look like. And I'm not going to google it either. I want to be surprised here first.

Don't worry Tim, I make my own popcorn....

Brandon Sloan

Reaction score
First name
Brandon
I’m going to live vicariously through you on this one. That part of my mind that is notorious for making bad decisions wants to jump into this rabbit hole with you. Must resist...