Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Here's a review of the 16" ego battery powered chainsaw. It was $299 on Amazon.
Who don't like new tools!
20220509_183056.jpg
What you see when you open the box.
20220509_183206.jpg
Comes with a 56 volt 5 amp hour battery and charger, blade scabard too.
20220509_183328.jpg
What it looks like with the battery installed, it has good balance.
20220509_184338.jpg
It cut this locust up easy peasy.
20220509_190146.jpg
So my first impressions are good, it's quiet, surprisingly powerful for light duty like this. I did cut the tree down with it. I dig the no gas thing and low noise, you could use it indoors in your shop too. It's tool less blade tensioning and it can be adjusted with the thumb wheel that's above the bar or you can use a screwdriver like a traditional gas saw. It has a very narrow kerf chain, perfect for a cordless tool. It threw chips like a champ. So the main reason I decided to give this saw a try is because I needed another battery for my other ego equipment so for $50 more than the cost of the battery I got the tool too. It's a handy little saw the tree I took down and the branches I cut up where a good test for it.
Now for the bad.........
I happened to get a saw that was defective, when I was cleaning it up to put it away I noticed there was no oil residue around the bar and cover area. So I pulled the bar and chain off and ran the saw and no oil came out of the hole to feed the bar and chain. Now the good thing about ordering it through Amazon is they sent a replacement right away and arranged for ups to pick the defective saw up.
New saw was tested and it instantly produced oil. So all is good with the saw and I also got the extra battery I was needing.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Nice, I have a battery powered echo with similar specs, I don't use it that much but it sure is handy to have in my pickup for targets of opportunity.....

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
I've had one of these for a few years. I also have the lawn mower and weed whacker. I've never had any problems and especially love how the lawn mower works. Just as powerful as a regular mower without the noise and gas fumes. If I was doing some serious cutting all the time I would get a Stihl saw but this works great for what I need.

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
So what kind of life did you get out of the original battery before it died?
I've mostly strayed away from cordless tools due to the cost of replacement batteries being more than a new drill or whatever with the batteries. I keep a couple cordless drills and an impact driver but that's it, everything else is corded or gas powered. Got tired of stacking up perfectly good tools that you can't even get a battery for anymore. Still have my old Makita 9v angle drill from the 80's, that used nickel cadmium batteries... Once made a battery pack for it but even that only lasted so long.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So what kind of life did you get out of the original battery before it died?
I got 4 years out of the first battery for the mower. 5 amp hour battery for the blower is still working and I'm at 5 years on that. Just got this chainsaw to get another battery really. Ego equipment is great, love the mower, but the batteries are very expensive when they die.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
I think one would be super handy around the mill for trimming things up. I usually have a gas saw handy but it a pain in the butt to start it several times a day. Usually takes as long to start the saw as it does to cut what ever needs cutting.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
My biggest piece of advice for anyone looking to get a battery powered chainsaw or lawn equipment is to buy from the existing line you already use so you may already have batteries on hand. I keep buying ego brand because I'm already invested in it. But let's say I had makita cordless products, well then I would be looking into their equipment, etc.
Now what if I didn't have anything, then my advice would be to price the batteries and factor that into your decision.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
We borrow my neighbor's battery powered chainsaw when we go up to cut a Christmas tree. Way easier than schlepping gas cans, etc.; no dealing with altitude adjustments; and much lighter to carry around in knee deep snow.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
My biggest piece of advice for anyone looking to get a battery powered chainsaw or lawn equipment is to buy from the existing line you already use so you may already have batteries on hand. I keep buying ego brand because I'm already invested in it. But let's say I had makita cordless products, well then I would be looking into their equipment, etc.
Now what if I didn't have anything, then my advice would be to price the batteries and factor that into your decision.
My thoughts exactly, I have Makita cordless tools and am down to 3 batteries and one charger. I've been eyeballing the chainsaws and will probably buy one once I recover from buying the neighbors Honda Foreman ATV and the pit boss pellet smoker thats coming Monday.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Works perfect for quick stuff like this. Just cut up a bunch of the old trim from the garage, old fence post, and into the fire pit it goes. šŸ”„ 20220528_170852.jpg

JonathanH

Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
My thoughts exactly, I have Makita cordless tools and am down to 3 batteries and one charger. I've been eyeballing the chainsaws and will probably buy one once I recover from buying the neighbors Honda Foreman ATV and the pit boss pellet smoker thats coming Monday.
Did you ever pick up the Makita chainsaw? I got one last summer and have been quite pleased with it. Most of the models have an auto tensioner. Not wanting to trust that, it probably works just fine, I purchased the 16" model with manual tensioning.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Did you ever pick up the Makita chainsaw? I got one last summer and have been quite pleased with it. Most of the models have an auto tensioner. Not wanting to trust that, it probably works just fine, I purchased the 16" model with manual tensioning.
No I have not purchased one. Seems like my wants outpace my income.