Battery Terminal

Discussion in 'Bull Moose Memorial Outdoor Activity Forum' started by Graybeard, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Graybeard

Graybeard Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    David
    Anyone ever use remote battery terminals? My UTV's battery is under the seat and not very conveniently located and since it's sometimes in the cold shed it has a hard time getting started. This morning it was in the low twenties and it cranked for a long time. I was afraid I'd run it down. I can only imagine when we're below zero. I've got a super jump starter and would have it going in no time if I could only access the battery.

plow.jpg

2. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    Maybe a dipstick heater or? I use heater on tractor.

3. Mr. Peet

Mr. Peet Member Full Member

First name:
    Mark
    Not sure if they have that Mike? I think they offer a block heater for that UTV. Or was the dipstick heater the same thing as a block heater?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mr. Peet

First name:
    Mark
    Do you have electric in the shed? If so 15 amp, 20 amp or other?

5. Mike1950

First name:
    Mike
    used to be able to get dipstick for car that plugged in. Tractor has a block heater. I love it

6. Graybeard

First name:
    David
    Sorry, no electric in the shed. If we know a big snow is coming we park in the heated garage and put the car in the shed but it’s not the managements favorite arrangement.

7. Mr. Peet

First name:
    Mark
    How far is the shed from the house? If under 200 feet, I'd consider running a line out there (electric). If you can fit a car in the shed, lights would be nice. Chances are, you'll get older and the safety with lights is nice.

8. Mr. Peet

First name:
    Mark
    After thinking about it, I recall the SAAB cars had them in the 70's. I think by the 90's, everyone was spoiled with a garage and the concept was no longer common place in our area.

I recall many a story about cardboard boxes around a vehicle with a 100 watt bulb propped against the oil pan all night. Or stories of a second light or a brooder light under the hood and so on. Times have changed.

• Like Like x 1
  9. T. Ben

T. Ben Member Full Member

First name:
    Troy
    I would buy a battery maintainer,they come with 2-3 different ways of hooking up to your battery. There is a one that you bolt onto the battery terminal and run the other end out to somewhere convenient,I use this method on one of my snowmobiles,if the machine had a 12v plug in,like a cigarette lighter,the maintainer has a plug in that fits this and will charge and maintain the battery,I use this method on my other sled.

10. Graybeard

First name:
    David
    I have a battery maintainer installed but again, no electricity when it's in the shed. I suppose I could let it sit out in the driveway and plug it in. The shed is a long way off and an extension cord would have to go across a driveway. No one has used the remote battery terminal? https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Remote-Mount-Battery-Terminal-Studs,1116.html It looks like an easy installation.

I actually have a magnetic heat block that I used to use on an old pick up but again would need an extension.

11. Mike1950

First name:
    Mike
    Oh yes- I had a datsun in the 70's started great till below 15 degrees. Put lighter oil in it for winter but no matter. I carried a white gas camping stove around- 15 min under oil pan and it started great...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mr. Peet

First name:
    Mark
    So further than 200 feet, for the shed?

13. Graybeard

First name:
    David
    yes

14. T. Ben

T. Ben Member Full Member

First name:
    Troy
    I would leave the machine outside,close to the garage and keep the maintainer plugged in,I wouldn’t want to cut holes in the machine to mount those. My$.02

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mr. Peet

First name:
    Mark
    Agree with Troy. David, spend the $75 and get the form fitted cover. Have it just outside, use the maintainer, cover it for snow and rain.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  16. Graybeard

First name:
    David
    Well the solution isn't the best but it keeps the machine warm and the tender plugged in. To use my wife has to back the car out into the driveway and I come out and clean off the front of the garage, then she can put it back while I finish up the rest. Not the best but it's going to work for now. Still looking into the remote battery terminals. My neighbor is the mechanic at the dealership and he borrows my stuff so he doesn't mind stopping in and looking things over. I'll see what he says. Drilling plow.jpg holes doesn't bother me if it makes my life livable.

• Like Like x 1
Current Time: 8:27 PM