Belize

ssgmeader

Reaction score
First name
Adrian
So in 7 days I leave for Belize,Honduras and Cozumel....so of course in my imagination while strolling through some local market place I will stumble across some chunk of Rosewood Burl that I will snatch up at a dirt cheap price...obviously reality is often times different from fantasy. But many of us have taken advantage of trips to Hawaii and returned with a small stash of Koa.. So I start to use a little Google Fu to see if 1..I'd be able to find any , or maybe a dealer that I could snag a deal from and 2) Will customers let me bring it back in to the US through the Cruise Port. I found this article on the Rosewood trade and it's an interesting read...worse part about it..........The Minister burning 200K worth of Illegally Harvested Rose....never understood that I mean damn! Confiscate it , sell it and fund your battle against smuggling. On that note, anyone have any experience bringing processed wood item back into the US from abroad?. I've brought back finished wood items before but never a chunk of wood.

http://www.belize.com/belizean-rosewood

EricJS

Reaction score
First name
Eric
If you find a nice piece of rosewood, you could always paint it with "Surf Belize" to disguize it as a souvenir.

Seriously, a souvenir made from the wood is rarely noticed - raw wood is likely to be confiscated. But do a little more research on the subject before you paint a really nice burl...:scare3:

Blueglass

Reaction score
First name
Les
I'll be making the same trip in about a month. I was told in Belize you will get off the ship and take a left. There will be a flea market where you can find Zircote. Bring a book bag and make sure it will fit in it. To them it is junk wood so don't spend more than $25. Hope that helps because that is what I plan to do.

I live just a few miles from Port Canaveral so feel free to bring me back a burl too and I can pick it up in person and avoid shipping costs ;)... ha ha ha. Have fun!

Last edited:

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Good luck, let us know how it goes. Tony

shadetree_1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Joe
I've brought wood back from Jamaica without a problem as long as a little carving was done on it, it is then considered a "tourist item" no duties and no problem, might try that, most of those folks are happy to take $10 US to carve a little, it's a thought.

ssgmeader

Reaction score
First name
Adrian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LOl. So I was too busy enjoying myself and never actually got to find a chunk. I did look a bit though there just wasn't anything big enough and beautiful enough to catch my eye. Being on the Island for only about 8 hours makes it tough to explore. I did see some beautiful Mahogany carvings / doors big chests in Honduras but they wanted a premium for them.. This February is Barbados for a week so maybe I'll have better luck there.