Bench top band saw

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Those who have been on here for awhile know I don't really have a shop, I work out of my garage. So almost all my power tools are on wheels so I can move them out into the driveway so I don't fill my garage with dust. I don't make many larger projects, like furniture too often but I have in the past. So my question is, if you were in my position, would you think a bench top band saw to be a good investment? Or are they so limited in what they can do, and/or the quality of a bench top band saw is so marginal they aren't worth it? Could one for example trim the excess off a guitar top or bottom? Could a bench top resaw some boards for bench size projects? If you think they're worth having, what brand(s) do you recommend? I've seen good reviews for Laguna and WEN.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Delta and craftsman benchtops are great scroll saws not a lot of resaw capacity on those. I own the sears, the boss owns a delta that has never seen a serious job it could handle in my 5 years at this job.
And yes I was referencing bandsaw there

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I've used a few bench top models. They have shorter bands, thus heat up quicker and dull quicker. Super important to assure the wood is clean, pop bark off first is a help, be patient and let the band breath to cool, assure guides and bearing chases are in top condition. Used a 3 wheel Sears bench model once. It was to offset the band for wider cutting depth, I think...it was 35 or so years ago.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I've got a 10 inch Rikon that I use for cutting blanks for the lathe. It will cut 4" tall wet bowl blanks, albeit slowly. Also cut 8/4 plus thick dry wood all the time with it. I've not done any resawing with it, but with proper blade and tuning don't see why it wouldn't.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Delta and craftsman benchtops are great scroll saws not a lot of resaw capacity on those. I own the sears, the boss owns a delta that has never seen a serious job it could handle in my 5 years at this job.
And yes I was referencing bandsaw there
Did you mean the Delta "couldn't" handle? Or are you saying it wasn't worth much as a saw?

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've used a few bench top models. They have shorter bands, thus heat up quicker and dull quicker. Super important to assure the wood is clean, pop bark off first is a help, be patient and let the band breath to cool, assure guides and bearing chases are in top condition. Used a 3 wheel Sears bench model once. It was to offset the band for wider cutting depth, I think...it was 35 or so years ago.
Hadn't considered the heat-up of the blade issue. That wouldn't be too big a concern if I didn't saw large boards, though, right?

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Agree with Bill, go as big as you can afford and have space for. I have the little Rikon because at the time it was what I could afford. Far from ideal for my use, but like everything, you make it work. It is a good little saw.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I would sell a laguna if you gave it to me. They make some good stuff but their customer service is much worse than bad. I would save and get a 14"- then you could resaw

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Hadn't considered the heat-up of the blade issue. That wouldn't be too big a concern if I didn't saw large boards, though, right?
Right. A big issue is twist. Lots of folks try cutting a large piece without proper support, and add twist and strain on the blade. I've seen folks use plywood to make a bigger platform to reduce such. Also seen bench units built into the bench with the bandsaw table flush with the bench.

Best was a bench unit built into a table. The unit had a square table, flush with the bigger table. Built with a hinge doors to swing down below the table so the unit could be turned 180 degrees or 90 degrees to allow the entire table as an extension of the bandsaw table. The Craftsman unit was a stock 1/2 horse that was upgraded to 3/4 HP which I'm sure was a help.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
A 14 inch bandsaw doesn't have a very big footprint, and easy to put a mobile base on,... quite a few out there used, on any given day there are several on Craigslist and/or facebook market place around here...

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
A 14 inch bandsaw doesn't have a very big footprint, and easy to put a mobile base on,... quite a few out there used, on any given day there are several on Craigslist and/or facebook market place around here...
but Doug is in middle of nowhere Central Oregon.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I agree with the 2 old guys. :taunt: Get a 14" bandsaw. It will handle most anything you push through it. A decent one is worth a drive to look at/pick up/buy....