Beware of USPS Standard Post

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
USPS Standard Post touts 2-8 day average shipping time.
I had a package I sent out back on May 13, shows expected delivery of May 18...and it's not moved from a regional USPS sort facility since May 14.

I put in a call and they said it can take longer, perhaps 2 weeks ... and I'm talking going from North Carolina to Kentucky, not halfway across the US. So, I put in a case and then call them today. Now the story is that it's not unusual to take up to 30 days for Standard Post, and that it only gets added to a truck if room after filling with all the other 'real mail', 'priority/express/etc'.

So...put in a case to have looked into and ... oh, by the way, it can take 2 wks to 90 days to get results of that.

I'll not use Standard Post again. If I can't send First Class, or Priority...it will go FedEx or UPS. Way too unreliable to deal with using Standard Post again.

If you want to see their FAQs on late mail...go here. USPS Late Shipping FAQs, then go to Browse FAQs, it's first item in list.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Yea, I got screwed by them last fall before christmas. The clerk assured me it would be there in 6 days, took 2 weeks. My brother had to delay his office christmas party cause the gifts hadnt arrived. I just chalked it up to the christmas season, but I certainly will never trust their word again.

Gary Max

Reaction score
First name
Gary
I have been getting more Fedex deliveries these days--------- and a bunch cheaper.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I never use USPS standard post for this very reason. I've had 99.999% great results with priority but I never use standard. What they don't tell you is that "standard" means they still use the standard pony express system from the 19th century. They have a secret lot by most post offices where the horses and riders are kept.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I heard that a merger is going to happen between UPS and Fed Ex.

They are gonna call themselves FedUp.
:)

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
ripjack13 said:
I heard that a merger is going to happen between UPS and Fed Ex.

They are gonna call themselves FedUp.
:)
:lol:

I guess that's better than UPSEX. :sarcastic:

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting bit of information, though not surprising. So...I'm still waiting to hear if a package mailed off on May 13 has been located as result of an investigation in the sort facility...and of course, the answer is No. In fact, that investigation has 90 days ... not sure for what, so really can't expect any answer till end of August. At that time, I expect to call and receive zero response.
Since no insurance was selected, I have no expectations on reimbursement for contents, but am floored that I can't even get reimbursed for postage, $26.
Again, I hope that others learn from this. The postal service is full of some wonderful people so I don't want to make this sound directed at them, but the fact that they have policies that allow lost mail while in their care and still charge a person for the service...really disappointing! :dash2:

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
TimR said:
.... but the fact that they have policies that allow lost mail while in their care and still charge a person for the service...really disappointing! :dash2:

I guess they figured if we won't do anything to the politicians who are openly conducting a global criminal enterprise while giving us the finger, why can't they take a little postage money from us without fear of reprisal. :i_dunno:

davidgiul

Reaction score
First name
David
Shipping from HI can be a bit of a trick. If I can, I will send wood priority mail but I have been selling a lot of wood to luthiers and the cost of priority mail goes thru the roof. The board that a luthier needs for his sides exceeds the game box dimension by about 8" I have sent wood standard and it takes about 4 weeks from HI to anywhere USA and it is about half the cost of priority.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
davidgiul said:
Shipping from HI can be a bit of a trick. If I can, I will send wood priority mail but I have been selling a lot of wood to luthiers and the cost of priority mail goes thru the roof. The board that a luthier needs for his sides exceeds the game box dimension by about 8" I have sent wood standard and it takes about 4 weeks from HI to anywhere USA and it is about half the cost of priority.

David -do you have a Fed/ex account- cheaper and you have better service more control. I have a 16x12x12 box-6lbs going to NY for $22.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Shipping from HI or AK to CONUS and vice versa is very costly using FEDEX or UPS unless it's a flat rate overnight etc. Anything weighing more than a FRE is very expensive..