Big leaf quilt

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Trust me, when first looking at the pictures, my eyes didn't notice (or register) the edges or any other identifying characteristic. :shok::shok: pretty much sums up my initial response.

And I'm sorry to all those who know and use the correct descriptive terms for wood grain, but "quilt" seems just a wee bit inadequate in describing these pieces of wood!

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Trust me, when first looking at the pictures, my eyes didn't notice (or register) the edges or any other identifying characteristic. :shok::shok: pretty much sums up my initial response.

And I'm sorry to all those who know and use the correct descriptive terms for wood grain, but "quilt" seems just a wee bit inadequate in describing these pieces of wood!
They are at guitar grade. Which is not easy to get.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Any of you really smart tree guys know what causes this figure?
quilt usually comes in patches- find one you find more. seems closer you get to coast the more prevalent it gets. MY "GUESS" genetics and very wet. some of the best comes from rain forest on olympic peninsula. This did not come form there. JMO

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Any of you really smart tree guys know what causes this figure?
and I only know from where I find it. Big Leaf gives us so many colors and figures- so lucky to have a tree like it in this country and it is a weed....