Big leaf

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How much of this stump was rotten beyond being able to market it as spalted?
much less than I would have guessed. most big leaf this big are hollow inside. this one sat on ground quite a while. If I were to guess before cuting-30-50% would have been possible. less than 10% was reality. and one block 30x30x20 that had no figure. pretty amazing tree. some beautiful giant slabs of solid spalted burl..

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Glad for ya. I was looking at the mill pictures and noticed the heavy spalt. That was why I asked. It's rare that I run up on heavy spalt without at least some portion that is just potting soil.
Yes you are right. Mill guy and I commented on how small waste pile was. My guess is tree was dead or dying. Quite a bit of it is dry or close.

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
You guys can have all the sections with eyes. To me the more interesting maple are the spalted ones because it has “more character” where you have patches of browns, tans, yellows, greys, etc. with contrasting black ink lines. It is a bonus when you see curl figuring.

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
^That one is really nice Mike- that is what I am talking about! Reminds me a lot of a particular granite color and texture less the black line (you add that and it looks like a particular Italian marble). That will make a wonderful bass top as there are more surface area which will highlight all the different color patches……………oh forget that, a round diameter end table with that burl will fool anybody that it appears to be stone!

Last edited:

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
^That one is really nice Mike- that is what I am talking about! Reminds me a lot of a particular granite color and texture less the black line (you add that and it looks like a particular Italian marble). That will make a wonderful bass top as there are more surface area which will highlight all the different color patches……………oh forget that, a round diameter end table with that burl will fool anybody that it appears to be stone!
Stack of a dozen. This probably smallest. I never care what they make out of them.

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
Stack of a dozen. This probably smallest. I never care what they make out of them.
You should- look up fine furniture made by Biedermeier and Ruhlmann. It is like an ideal pattern for many period furniture pieces- executive desk is what I am seeing for top surface and drawers. I can see a conference table or a special reception counter in a lobby (like a hotel). Let’s go above that- I can see a whole wall cladded with this properly lit. Of course it would be sliced to 1/16” or 1/8” thickness sequenced matched glued to a plywood substrate.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
You should- look up fine furniture made by Biedermeier and Ruhlmann. It is like an ideal pattern for many period furniture pieces- executive desk is what I am seeing for top surface and drawers. I can see a conference table or a special reception counter in a lobby (like a hotel). Let’s go above that- I can see a whole wall cladded with this properly lit. Of course it would be sliced to 1/16” or 1/8” thickness sequenced matched glued to a plywood substrate.
I have no trouble selling quality burl. And expansion is sorta not in my equation. Going to stay where I am at size wise.

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
I have no trouble selling quality burl. And expansion is sorta not in my equation. Going to stay where I am at size wise.
I am a Designer by trade and I am kind of programmed visually to see the potential in a space and raw materials. I see the quality of the burl you have and you have sequential cuts. You have to “bark” at a fine furniture company that has access to or have an in-house facility to properly process these in veneer format. The furniture houses are not the only place, but specialty architectural paneling that does assembly halls, restaurants, hospitality, hotels, restaurants, resorts, boutiques, etc.

Last edited:

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
This is what I see on that piece and book-matching it will render a beautiful round table with a pedestal base.

EE711E97-1A4A-4AB4-B99A-8B676E81F3C2.jpeg

Last edited:

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
Well Mike let me put this in for you and basically continuation from my last post of #34 & #35. I look for piece I can have multiple use and I see furniture and lots of guitar/bass tops out of these. Sorry the sketch is poor as I did it with my finger on the phone………..but you get the idea and if you post these on your site for luthiers, it will give them a visual for reference. I would pull a measuring tape out north and south, east and west for size…….

CA3EF2FA-FCD4-472D-94D9-6898C948A122.jpeg

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Well Mike let me put this in for you and basically continuation from my last post of #34 & #35. I look for piece I can have multiple use and I see furniture and lots of guitar/bass tops out of these. Sorry the sketch is poor as I did it with my finger on the phone………..but you get the idea and if you post these on your site for luthiers, it will give them a visual for reference. I would pull a measuring tape out north and south, east and west for size…….

View attachment 213000
I have no site. I post on instagram a little and FB mostly. But will think about it-Thank You