Big mesquite form

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Wow Barry, what a stunning piece. "has stuff going on all around it..." is an understatement!!! Just an additional specific comment, I like that treatment around the top. That really grabbed my eye; not to the extent of being distracting, but complimentary.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Garry!, Yea, I got lucky finding that piece of wood!

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
That’s a beauty, Barry! My shoulder is a little sore just thinking about hogging out the inside of something that big.

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
"We" knew this was going to be a great piece when you first showed the blank and rough out. "We" were right! Way cool, Barry.

How did you finish it with all those inclusions? You seem to often use a spray can. Did you spray this?

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Looks great, but consider filling in all those holes with crushed Turquoise. Just need to sneak into some of those Turquoise mines around AZ. At least COVID gives you an excuse for a disguise. :headscratch2:

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Incredible! I don't know how you turners can keep those things together, especially one that big. The momentum when it's turning is huge. Very impressed.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
"We" knew this was going to be a great piece when you first showed the blank and rough out. "We" were right! Way cool, Barry.

How did you finish it with all those inclusions? You seem to often use a spray can. Did you spray this?
Thanks Tom, I just gave it a good soaking with wipe on Polly a couple of times, sanded that smooth with a 600 grit sponge, then the final coat was
Minwax semi-gloss poly

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Looks great, but consider filling in all those holes with crushed Turquoise. Just need to sneak into some of those Turquoise mines around AZ. At least COVID gives you an excuse for a disguise. :headscratch2:
Yea that would take a fortune in turquoise! I was thinking it would have been cool to cast all the voids and cracks with colored resin, but I don't have any experience with such things...

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Fantastic piece! Great looking form. The crisp, clean lines of the collar contrast the curves beautifully and take this one to the next level.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Yea that would take a fortune in turquoise! I was thinking it would have been cool to cast all the voids and cracks with colored resin, but I don't have any experience with such things...
Try inserting a piece of painter's drop plastic then inflating a balloon inside the hollow form to seal the inside and keep you from losing epoxy into the form. Pour the voids individually between the rough in stage and before final turning (after it dries below 10 %) then wait 7 days for full cure and turn final. This will save a lot of money in epoxy. Obviously you dont need the epoxy to hold it together while turning.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Try inserting a piece of painter's drop plastic then inflating a balloon inside the hollow form to seal the inside and keep you from losing epoxy into the form. Pour the voids individually between the rough in stage and before final turning (after it dries below 10 %) then wait 7 days for full cure and turn final. This will save a lot of money in epoxy. Obviously you dont need the epoxy to hold it together while turning.
Yea I read somewhere that you can use a heavy duty trashbag, filled with sand, for the same purpose,. That would be a lot of individual pours on something like this though...

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Yes. It is. Would take 3 different pours, likely 3 days. Other method requires submerging entire block in epoxy but to do that requires the block to be dry and then it has to be roughed in as a much more difficult piece.

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Yea I read somewhere that you can use a heavy duty trashbag, filled with sand, for the same purpose,. That would be a lot of individual pours on something like this though...
Should work. Just watch for the sand shifting. Dont need epoxy migrating to a lower hole where it could drip away. There are several methods that will work each one has its pros and cons.