Big Segmented one

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Worked on this over a month (off and on) which is longer than my short attention span usually allows. Kind of a bucket list thing to make a very large segmented piece. I had lost of white oak odds and ends so that's what I used. 20170719_082256 (1).jpg
Here it is on the lathe, had to put the bed extension on to fit.
I decided to fume it with ammonia since that is supposed to bring out the grain in q-sawn white oak, which is what the segments ended up being. Rigged up a tent from a plastic trash can and a big trash bag;
20170723_171655.jpg
I cooked it too long though, I tried it with a couple of scraps and thought 24 hrs was about right, but the vase darkened more than I wanted, 12 hrs would have been about right I think. another problem was I used wood from a lot of different sources, and it seems some is more reactive than others. One thing I discovered though, that I will be using it again for, is mesquite. I put a small pale boring turning (a lot of the city mesquite around here is Argentine mesquite and it tends to be pale and lack character) in the fumes, it really deepened the color and improved its looks. Here is a picture of it fumed and finished with poly;
20170726_120938.jpg
notice the walnut accent on top ended up contrasting very little with the oak :( . and a couple of formal portraits;
IMG_0008.JPG IMG_0009.JPG
I'm just happy it's done lol

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Barry, even if it didn't turn out exactly as you had hoped, it's still a spectacular piece! Would look especially great in a home with fumed oak furniture in the A&C/Mission/Etc. styles.

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
If you hadn't said you fumed it too long if have said you did a perfect job on it!!

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Just the turning itself is a spectacular piece, never mind the finish! Love it Barry! Tony

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Really a great piece. Interesting information about fuming mesquite. Hadn't heard that one before. I'll make a not of it on my site.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Does the ammonia penetrate the wood? Possible to sand out the darkening effect? I had not heard of the fuming procedure before. Makes me wonder if there might be other chemicals that could be used for fuming. Guess it would be important to be careful for turnings that are destined for food safe use. Chuck

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Does the ammonia penetrate the wood? Possible to sand out the darkening effect? I had not heard of the fuming procedure before. Makes me wonder if there might be other chemicals that could be used for fuming. Guess it would be important to be careful for turnings that are destined for food safe use. Chuck
The reaction of the ammonia with the tannin in oak is very specific so don't assume there are other chemicals that work. There might be but I wouldn't count on it.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea, it penetrates pretty deep, I actually did a lot of sanding to try and bring down the darkness, but without much success. It did help to bring out some of the grain though. I have used various agents to darken oak, a lye/water solution works, rusty steel wool/vinegar works, but I think ammonia is best, I just should have checked it more frequently for progress. I also read a blog where a guy uses a spray of ammonia (and water, the ratio depending on how dark he wants it). He applies this directly and dispenses with the tent/fuming thing. Says it works great.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Yea, it penetrates pretty deep, I actually did a lot of sanding to try and bring down the darkness, but without much success. It did help to bring out some of the grain though. I have used various agents to darken oak, a lye/water solution works, rusty steel wool/vinegar works, but I think ammonia is best, I just should have checked it more frequently for progress. I also read a blog where a guy uses a spray of ammonia (and water, the ratio depending on how dark he wants it). He applies this directly and dispenses with the tent/fuming thing. Says it works great.
I would think it wouldn't penetrate as well as the fuming though, so that method may be best for something that's near final-turned.

Last edited:

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Too cool! Looks like a lot of work, but it's a cool result!

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Barry, this came out great from my perspective. I especially like the contrasting hues. Question, on a piece like this, do you finish turn the inside as you go, or do you need to do all at once ... which would suck. :headscratch2:

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Barry, this came out great from my perspective. I especially like the contrasting hues. Question, on a piece like this, do you finish turn the inside as you go, or do you need to do all at once ... which would suck. :headscratch2:
Thanks! I turned it initially as 2 cones, then joined them together at the waist....

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Since nobody else has asked - I will - how many little pieces?
ya know, I never counted till just now, ....by my calculations 444. not that many for a segmented piece, I've seen some much smaller, but very detailed ones, claiming near a thousand...

Mike Mills

Reaction score
First name
Mike
I really like the dark fuming.
As soon as I saw it I was reminded of this one (but he didn't finish the inside).