• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Birthday job.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I'm off work today for workshare, just happens to be my birthday so I'll take it, Lol. So I decided to use some of my day to do something for Betty. She's aces, always doing things for me and brings me much happiness in my life. I got to thinking the other day that she doesn't have a maker space in our home. Shes a crafty kind of person, sews, knits, does needle point, getting Into leatherwork, makes jewelry etc. So I decided that we really dont need an office, so I'm clearing that out to give her a space of her own. I have my shop and garage. She needs a space too. So today I moved all the bookshelves out of the office into the living room.
Started by moving my deer mount.
20200708_091846.jpg
There, now he has his own wall.
20200708_092231.jpg
First bookshelf moved, speakers are going on top to get them off the floor. Need the space.
20200708_091839.jpg
Last 2 shelves are now in place.
20200708_120254.jpg
The new look. I can live with it. Kind of a sewing machine museum, lol.
I want to build a bridge to go all the way across the top, that would look better than the temporary plywood tops.
20200708_120241.jpg
Eventually the couches will probably go, they will be replaced with recliner chairs.
Betty doesn't know I did this today, she thinks I'm just slacking on my birthday, lol.

Last edited:

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Pix of the space?

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Pix of the space?
Not yet, still working on it. Got a lot of crap to move out yet. But when it's starting to look like a workspace I'll post pics. There is a loft bed in there that is staying, and an old oak teachers desk that she can pou d on, lol. But I have a lot of personal stuff and office stuff that has to be boxed up and moved yet. May take awhile. But this was a good start.

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
brownie points for a long time Greg!!!! Good on ya, we have to take care of the ones that puts up with our , well, family site here.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
brownie points for a long time Greg!!!! Good on ya, we have to take care of the ones that puts up with our , well, family site here.
Funny thing is she resisted the idea at first, so I just went ahead and started working on it. Now that she see's it happening she is getting excited about having her own maker space. We talked about lighting and a workbench or 2. I think the desk will be one work surface and then maybe something else along one wall. Part of the problem is multiple sewing machines she uses.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Funny thing is she resisted the idea at first, so I just went ahead and started working on it. Now that she see's it happening she is getting excited about having her own maker space. We talked about lighting and a workbench or 2. I think the desk will be one work surface and then maybe something else along one wall. Part of the problem is multiple sewing machines she uses.

Build her a Ferris Wheel with the machines on them, she can just spin it until the one she wants comes up!

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Build her a Ferris Wheel with the machines on them, she can just spin it until the one she wants comes up!
When we start getting it set up I'll post pics, 2 of her leather machines are big and on their own wheels. Not sure how we are going to configure everything yet. :ponder::headscratch2:

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
When we start getting it set up I'll post pics, 2 of her leather machines are big and on their own wheels. Not sure how we are going to configure everything yet. :ponder::headscratch2:

Hmmmmmmmmm, leather sewing...….there was a lady at a farmer's market in St Pete, FL, selling briefcases/note pad covers that were really interesting. She had taken oversized, old books, like the old atlas' from the 60's grade schools; used them as front and back covers, and then used leather to build the portfolio case, note pad case, what ever you want to call them. It was really neat. Wish I had a picture of one; will have to go google it I guess. And I think she sourced her leather as remnants from a furniture or seat cover place. You talk about upcycling; they were great...just didn't pull the trigger that day. Thought I would be back visiting the bro in law by now.......

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
@Gdurfey Betty is just beginning to get into leather work. It's kinda her retirement plan, among other things. She already has the sewing part down. I told her if she did whips, restraints, and ball gags we would be rich! Lol.