Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Black Walnut Table (Stammtisch)

Discussion in 'Woodworkers' Completed Projects' started by Nathan W, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Nathan W

Nathan W Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Nathan
    This table will reside ( hopefully for a very long time) in the Stammtisch room of a new German restaurant in town.

I was originally commissioned to build a simple distressed farmhouse table out of 2x material. That is until I found the deal of a lifetime on some beautiful locally grown and milled black walnut.

I started by flattening a book matched pair of slabs. 5B8EBEFF-8F98-40F2-9022-1BED70F05E15.jpeg 6AEBE8FD-B7F7-4D07-8F60-0B0260286367.jpeg 585D549E-F385-44E7-8482-29232903E120.jpeg This was the first time I have used a router sled, and I learned more than care to remember. Many mistakes and nearly a half inch more than necessary, time consuming routing later, I decided it was good enough. B3836AE2-ABB1-494F-A76A-70FC4B5573F2.jpeg I played hell getting an acceptable joinable two surfaces for glue up. Paitience, a few drinks and many choice words later it all came together. CDDEE169-691F-4320-A5CB-0E95628E9053.jpeg I could not get the lighting right for the phone camera, and the surface is not as splotchy as it appears. I was not going for a complete flat/smooth surface. I used a wire wheel to create “worm holes “ in the surface. A2826816-4717-4BF2-9851-981B5C099AE8.jpeg And I think the owners believe that’s what they are.

Overall, I put nearly 100 hours of routing and hand planing and another few hours with a helper to complete final assembly.

It’s not the finest table in the land, but it is the finest I have ever made. I am very pleased with the way it turned out. Most importantly, the buyer is pleased as well.

I finished and delivered the table on the restaurants opening night with a line steadily forming as I scrambled to piece this beast together. D500F081-8746-4905-9539-12BDAF42546B.jpeg C8D3FEB0-7D81-4977-95C3-EA7AB8E1C932.jpeg The table measures 8’4” with a varying depth average of 30” and a height of 30”. All walnut used in the table started out as 8/4.

I hope you never make a deadline as close as I made this one. That was scary!

1AF1E222-5AFC-46CE-83D1-8C05AA843CCF.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 8
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  2. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    The customer is happy, that's the important thing! What does Stammtisch mean? Tony

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Nathan W

First name:
    Nathan
    ‘Stammtisch ‘ as described by the owner based on his time spent in Germany is sort of the regular’s table.

Traditionally, it was a social meeting based around a pub table where members would socialize and talk politics.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. jasonb

jasonb Sawdust = man glitter Full Member

First name:
    Jason
    Great looking table! and I enjoyed reading about getting it done, great post! :good2:

5. Tom Smart

Tom Smart Member Full Member

First name:
    Tom
    Every German village has its Gasthause, the local family run restaurant usually with a local beer dispensed from a beautiful porcelain tap, maybe a few rooms to rent. And each Gasthause has its Stammtisch off in the most prominent corner where the entire room can be seen. It is indeed reserved for the regulars of the village, where they gather to discuss, play cards and enjoy said beer.

Nice table.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gary Schuler

Gary Schuler Member Full Member

First name:
    Gary
    Very nice work.

7. David Hill

David Hill I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite. Full Member

Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
    First name:
    David
    Wow!
    Great project!
    Sounds like you learnt quite a bit too!!! —that’ll come in handy later.
    Bet that it results in more business.

8. ironman123

ironman123 Member Full Member

First name:
    Ray
    That is a lot of walnut that came together to make that beauty of a table. A piece to be proud of. Great job.:good2:whathesaid

9. thoffen

thoffen Member Full Member

First name:
    Todd
    That's awesome and a crazy amount of effort to flatten it. I was thinking of doing a live edge dining table for us with bookmatched pieces but now am a bit scared.

• Like Like x 1
  10. barry richardson

barry richardson Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    A beautiful table, well done Nathan!

11. DKMD

DKMD Sawbones Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    David
    Very cool! Hope you get to enjoy a beer or three at that beautiful table!

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Nathan W

First name:
    Nathan
    I wouldn’t be scared. I didn’t think I had time or budget to take the table top to a shop to get it flattened. I’ll definitely look into this next time. The hand hewn look is hard to beat though.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nathan W

First name:
    Nathan
    I wanted to add these to original post, but my picture limit had been met. This is the hall of flags in the upper portion of the restaurant. 16 flags total, one for each state in Germany. I had the electrician help me bend the flag poles C065C307-D045-489D-A65F-514986AF906B.jpeg
    Yes, they have BEER! This in the wall of steins! 316 in total. I only helped with the layout of this. Each locker is rented for one year for $100. You don’t get to keep the stein, but get discounts on every beer as well as discounts on food and other perks. The owner sold these lockers out beforehand, raising over $30K to ease the opening costs. 5DF63016-82C3-4127-9138-712953ADF4B4.jpeg BCC96853-CA5A-4AA7-8069-B6BB30F82031.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  14. Nubsnstubs

Nubsnstubs Where is it??? Full Member

First name:
    Jerry
    Man, I'm jealous. All those $10 ammo cans for a beer steins.

Nathan, if you ever decide to do another one like this, find someone with a wide belt sander. Takes about 1 hour to flatten both pieces, unless the thickness is so far off to cause more sanding time. Since that hand plane can't be plugged in, toss it and use a table saw to get your straight edges for your glue up.

Now that I'm done bitchin' at you, good looking table. It was well worth the effort you put into it. ...... Jerry (in Tucson)

Current Time: 1:30 AM