Black walnut

Discussion in 'Processing' started by Otterhound, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Otterhound

Otterhound Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Richard
    Not sure exactly where to post this . Just today , I acquired a black walnut log/tree . Did a slice at the large end in order to provide a clean and unchecked surface . There is some staining on the one side that indicates the presence of metal in the tree . I gotta try to locate said metal although one thing is for sure . I'm not risking a new and sharp chain on it , so I guess I'll have to locate it with an old chain if I can't find it otherwise . This tree measures about 42" in diameter at the base . If cut/split correctly , it should yield substantial quarter sawn billets as well as a crotch or two . I'll snap some pics and post them . If the spirit moves me , I may even do a bit of a tutorial on my processing this tree into the desired parts . This tree shows almost no twist and is very straight . It is not totally clear , but that can be worked around . Once it is cut into rounds , I will be splitting it into wedges where it makes sense to do so . Yeah , I actually do enjoy doing this . I am so anxious to see what I find inside .

• Like Like x 5
  2. Steve in VA

Steve in VA Member Full Member

First name:
    Steve
    Would love to see your process and the end results if you don't mind doing the tutorial!

I used to live in Lancaster; worked at Armstrong. I wish you were just a bit closer as I'd swing by to lend you my metal detector.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. djg

djg Member Full Member

First name:
    Dan
    You're cutting that log up into turning blanks and not sawing into lumber?

4. Otterhound

First name:
    Richard
    Not sawing into lumber is correct . My main focus is quarter sawn instrument wood . Of course , with this log , not all of it is applicable . As far as turning wood is concerned , I have a considerable amount already here that could be used for that purpose . The round that I cut from the base in order to remove the checking that has started has a unique potential . Because of the manner in which this tree was felled , the center 2-3" of the bottom 2'or so is pulled out . I may take that round and use it for a table top . It has a perfect and naturally removed void that a table umbrella would fit through . Combine that with the natural beauty of black walnut ...... Of course , how I finally cut this log will be determined on how it yields what I want first . There will be some nice crotch pieces as well as other stuff . I will post the cutting here as it goes along .

• Like Like x 3
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Otterhound

First name:
    Richard
    What I am working with .
    A0D5FD4F-858C-4086-8D0E-524B6D61E05B.jpeg 71AC2FA3-2ABB-49D4-AB71-3D8DA1B699CD.jpeg 5A3493DB-75B4-472A-A014-F69D542B7585.jpeg B64D29FA-8F8A-4C67-AC8E-3FF3BFEF6012.jpeg 7C3A3857-296D-4B94-97EF-F1DF82E00361.jpeg The 3 places where metal has stained the wood are evident . I will be cutting sections tomorrow after work and sealing the cuts in preparation for the next steps . As you can see , this logs is a big one . I just need to locate where that metal is .

• Way Cool Way Cool x 5
    • EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Steve in VA

First name:
    Steve
    Jealous!!! :saw:

7. djg

djg Member Full Member

First name:
    Dan
    If you do dry that cookie with the void in the middle, it will be interesting to see how much cracking will occur. I posted a thread 'Walnut Cookies' years ago on another forum, and Kevin had a field day with it. After a humorous crack, he basically said it wouldn't work. I've often thought if a centerless cookie or one with a sector removed would dry. Keep us posted.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Otterhound

First name:
    Richard
    I'm not planning to do anything , as far as the drying process , on the end cut .
    I'll simply allow it to dry . The opposite side of what you see in the picture is anything but square , flat or even in thickness at any point and it does have some degree of checking already going on . Let's say the round develops a large crack . Isn't that why epoxy was created ? I may put some legs on this piece and gift it to some friends for an outdoor table that has an umbrella through the center . There is plenty of time to decide what to do with that piece . I should get 2 - 2' sections and 2 - 3' sections before the wood becomes non viable for guitars . There is a long crotch in this log and I will see what it holds as well .

• Like Like x 1
  9. djg

djg Member Full Member

First name:
    Dan
    That's what I meant - air dry. AnchorSeal?

10. Otterhound

First name:
    Richard
    The cookie , as you call it , will receive no sealer since the one side has already begun to check . Air drying to me is the lack of any type of kiln . I have kilns , but walnut tends to lose color and clarity when kilned as compared to air drying . Also , I have an inside area where I can maintain airflow and it's ambient temp . I am of the school that the variations in temps as well as humidity tend to relieve stresses in the wood and thus yield a better end product . Exactly the opposite of today's hurry up vacuum kiln process . If I had access to a pond , there is a chance that I would submerge this log for a year or two and allow the dark heartwood to color the pale white sapwood like was done in the past . I currently use Anchor Seal because of convenience , but would prefer to use Rockler Green Wood Endgrain Sealer . They are likely almost the same , but past results go to the Rockler product for me . It's all a Latex based product . Now , I gotta locate those nails . Once I have finished dimensions , all endgrain will be sealed in Paraffin wax .

• Like Like x 1
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  11. Otterhound

First name:
    Richard
    What part of Virginia do you live in ? Which Armstrong plant did you work in ?

• Creative Creative x 1
  12. Steve in VA

First name:
    Steve
    I'm down in Northern Virginia, in the Reston / Herndon area.

I started out as an Internal Auditor, so I worked out of the corp office but did a lot in the main flooring plant. I hit almost every plant (both floor and ceiling) they had at some point, including a subsidiary we had in India. Talk about OSHA; most of the guys in that facility didn't even wear shirts or shoes, at least back then.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

First name:
    Marc
    Oh yes, please do. :good2:

14. Otterhound

First name:
    Richard
    I have 1 more cut to make with the chainsaw . I will then have 2- 2' & 2- 3' sections , the end slice and the crotch . Sealing cuts immediately after cutting . I will take some pics tomorrow , but there really isn't much to see at this point . As I section this log , I am liking what I am seeing . This crotch section will be about 5' long if I am reading this tree correctly . This is always my favorite part . Seeing what's inside reveal itself to me . I guess there is a bit of thrill of the unknown in it . There is also a tinge of sadness knowing that this tree was healthy and was felled without a purpose that I know of . That won't prevent me from enjoying what's inside .

• Like Like x 2
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  15. Otterhound

First name:
    Richard
    Sections cut and sealed . Next is to lay them flat and begin splitting into wedges .
    The various backdrops should provide some concept of the size of this wood .
    4A3218B2-BD44-48AD-B045-AB5564C948E3.jpeg DC5D1B7A-6558-44BD-A8B6-36F7AF7F7548.jpeg B9FEFAD5-C8FE-4B56-AEE2-79336EAF117E.jpeg 14EDEDDE-8BC0-4A7E-B0A9-A870E84F5C8D.jpeg

• Way Cool Way Cool x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  16. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Founding Member Full Member Forum Moderator

First name:
    Greg
    Man, I'd be busting out my granberg mill on a couple of those for some thick table slabs.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Otterhound

First name:
    Richard
    Tomorrow , I will begin the process of splitting the rounds into wedges . The crotch section is destined for a mill .

18. Maverick

Maverick Member Full Member

First name:
    John
  19. Otterhound

First name:
    Richard
    Well , it's off to split some walnut .

20. barry richardson

barry richardson Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    Great thread Richard, do you make instruments, or process the wood for someone else?

Current Time: 2:18 AM