Block of Wood (Some form of exotic). ♫ εηdεd ♫

cabomhn

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Hello all!

Wish I had more time to be active on the site (and with woodworking as a whole) but I've been pretty tapped out lately with my small leatherworking business and work/life, etc hah. What I'm basically wanting is either some form of exotic block big enough to make something similar to this:

Sample.jpg

However I would like it to be a little longer to hold more tools for my leather stuff. I'm thinking maybe 2.5"x3"x12 or something along these lines. I would also be interested if any one is willing to drill out some holes for me to commission the work for the finished product. I don't have great access to a shop now, but I "could" do it, it would just be a pain for me personally to work on it and a bit of a drive.

I would also be down to barter some leather product services combined with cash with this if anybody is interested in that as well. If anyone's interested in checking out my stuff I've attached my instagram below to get a feel for the type of things I make.

https://www.instagram.com/stumpandhide

Thanks!!
- Matt

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Matt, I can make you something like that. I've got some peppermill sized blocks of several things(can't say exactly what without actually being in the shop), but the grain likely would run the length of the blank. The drilling wouldn't be an issue, and I'd be happy to trade.

I'm sure there are other folks here who can accommodate you also, but send me a PM with a bit more detail if you'd like me to make it.

cabomhn

Reaction score
First name
Matt
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Matt, I can make you something like that. I've got some peppermill sized blocks of several things(can't say exactly what without actually being in the shop), but the grain likely would run the length of the blank. The drilling wouldn't be an issue, and I'd be happy to trade.

I'm sure there are other folks here who can accommodate you also, but send me a PM with a bit more detail if you'd like me to make it.

I'll send ya a message!

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
Wow that leather work is super nice! That wallet with the blue thread is off the charts... How much those run?

cabomhn

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Wow that leather work is super nice! That wallet with the blue thread is off the charts... How much those run?

Thanks for the kind words! Are you talking about the most recent one with the gator in the bifold or the one from a few days ago with the vertical bifold?

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I tried selling a block of 'Kingwood' April 24th. It is an 1/8th under 3 inches wide by 13" inches long and 2 thick. I was asking $38. @phinds has it now to see if he can sell it. 028.JPG 029.JPG 030.JPG 033.JPG

Last edited:

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Mark's block is slightly more attractive than his pics make it look since his pics make the purple look just a shade more brown than it really is. Here it is in a bright incandescent light. It looks darker in a lower light.

upload_2017-7-14_22-6-59.png

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
Thanks for the kind words! Are you talking about the most recent one with the gator in the bifold or the one from a few days ago with the vertical bifold?

Vertical bi fold about 4 pics back. The wife always harps on me for good gifts...

cabomhn

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Vertical bi fold about 4 pics back. The wife always harps on me for good gifts...

As pictured those things normally run about $85 or so. The one in the picture is made from "chèvre" which is just a term for goat leather, giving it that grained look to it. If I made one like that from a cow leather like a Wickett and Craig harness or bridle I have in stock, the price is more like $70 or so!

Johnturner

Proud Member
Reaction score
First name
John
What would be the pric for a field note piece? Other than what you mentioned are you in the market for any other wood as partial trade?
John

cabomhn

Reaction score
First name
Matt
What would be the pric for a field note piece? Other than what you mentioned are you in the market for any other wood as partial trade?
John

Are you interested in something like this?
FieldNotes.jpg

I've got a few different colors available, ranging from the color pictured to a dark brown. These normally sell for $42 when I make them, but I'd be down to try to work out some sort of trade for one. If you have any oily exotics in the 3"x3"x(6-8)" range I would be interested in trying to work something out! Let me know. If you just want to buy one outright I'll make you one for $30 (wood barter discount haha)

cabomhn

Reaction score
First name
Matt
I tried selling a block of 'Kingwood' April 24th. It is an 1/8th under 3 inches wide by 13" inches long and 2 thick. I was asking $38. @phinds has it now to see if he can sell it.View attachment 131001 View attachment 131002 View attachment 131003 View attachment 131004

@phinds @Mr. Peet

Thanks guys for posting up here! That is a very nice chunk and thanks for posting the pictures. I was able to work something out with @DKMD on this. He's making me one out of a piece of bocote in exchange for some combination of a handmade wallet and cash, etc. Thanks!

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
@phinds @Mr. Peet

Thanks guys for posting up here! That is a very nice chunk and thanks for posting the pictures. I was able to work something out with @DKMD on this. He's making me one out of a piece of bocote in exchange for some combination of a handmade wallet and cash, etc. Thanks!
Good. Glad you're getting what you need.

Johnturner

Proud Member
Reaction score
First name
John
Matt
The one you pictured is the one I was interested in - Let me look into my stock and get back to you.
John

cabomhn

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Matt
The one you pictured is the one I was interested in - Let me look into my stock and get back to you.
John

Sounds good, no rush at all! Just an FYI I will be gone the 21st-August 1st so I might not be able to finish up before then (I have a few orders to finish this week), but afterwards I'll be wide open and can finish this up in a night.

Johnturner

Proud Member
Reaction score
First name
John
Matt
Not very Exotic, but it is a nice piece of Mulbury. I can cut as needed or you can have the piece.
I uderstand if not what you are looking for. 11 3/4 long x 7 1/2 wide x 3 in deep.
John DSC_1495.JPG

cabomhn

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Matt
Not very Exotic, but it is a nice piece of Mulbury. I can cut as needed or you can have the piece.
I uderstand if not what you are looking for. 11 3/4 long x 7 1/2 wide x 3 in deep.
JohnView attachment 131265

Thanks for the pic! I currently don't have a huge need for that right now, sorry!

Johnturner

Proud Member
Reaction score
First name
John
Matt
That's fine - I would still like to purchase a field note piece. The color in the picture is great.
Can you PM me price with shipping and your paypay info.
I understand you are going away for a bit that is fine.
John