bottom problems

Karda

Reaction score
First name
Mike
why is this happening. when I scrape the bottom of the bowl where I took off the tenon this happens, it is a gouge in one side some time it is deeper

r elm.jpg

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
When I reverse a bowl to clean up the bottom and remove a mortice or a tennon I put the bowl up against my cole jaws to keep the bowl flat and true.
Like this. 20200425_160012.jpg

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
As Greg referenced, it's most likely due to the bowl being slightly off when you reverse it to take off the tenon. When the bowl is spinning, because it's not flat and true as Greg shows on his cole jaws, your gouge cuts slightly on the one side and completely misses the other side.

How are you reverse mounting your bowl in order to take the tenon off Mike? Share a few pictures if you can.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I do as Greg does, and that works for me most of the time. I still though, occasionally, have the same problem that you do. Whether the wood moved because of stress relief, moisture changes, or user error, doesn't matter, you still have to deal with it. Most times I use 60x sandpaper on my drill and even things out while it is spinning.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I think The wood probably moved a little as stated above, especially if there was a day or so between turning the bowl, and finishing the base.

Karda

Reaction score
First name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have figured out a couple things that contribute to the problem, most of the grooving is caused by is cause by the wing corners when I scrape with the gouge also the jamb chuck I use for bigger bowls has padding on the face but it don't completely cover all the wood, that was causing the bowl to wobble. I am using a different jam chuck, chuck mounted and I am sure of its squareness and my turnings still are uneven just not as bad. the last bottom I did i got a bad groove' I stuck my spindle gouge in it and made a feature. There is a definite depth difference. I use a tail stock steady