Bought a stack of wood.. poplar

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
a little more research - and a few more opinions. I am going to go beyond WAG to say This is Populus nigra 'Italica- Black Poplar -Lombardy Poplar. will be sending sample to @phinds next week and some sawdust and chips to @Tom Smart for bedding for his beloved squirrels... :drinks3::cowboy::cool:

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
a little more research - and a few more opinions. I am going to go beyond WAG to say This is Populus nigra 'Italica- Black Poplar -Lombardy Poplar. will be sending sample to @phinds next week and some sawdust and chips to @Tom Smart for bedding for his beloved squirrels... :drinks3::cowboy::cool:
I'll be damned. I did a Google search for curly Lombardy poplar and got a (supposed) hit from the Mandolin Cafe. I wouldn'a thunk it.
lombardy.poplar.sm.jpg

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I'll be damned. I did a Google search for curly Lombardy poplar and got a (supposed) hit from the Mandolin Cafe. I wouldn'a thunk it.
lombardy.poplar.sm.jpg

I won/ was given a piece of Figured Black poplar at first WB auction. I dug out what I had left after someone told me they had had a piece yrs ago. Googled this AM- found that same picture... Mine- the figure more defined and grain. but I have some 1" from same tree - almost quilt.

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
To paraphrase a famous Mexican Bandito “Chips? I don’t need no chips!”
411C211C-8D4D-40C0-9403-6100CA20C16B.jpeg

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
OK, nailed it. Got the box from Mike a few hours ago and took it right out to the garage. Only sanded to 400 grit (normally 1200) because I figured that would be enough to distinguish between Populus spp. (cottonwood and aspen) and Liriodendron tulipifera (poplar / yellow poplar / tulip poplar) as per post #124 and it was.

Three .03cm-square cross sections. On the left poplar, then the mystery wood (tiny bit vague because only 400 grit), then cottonwood. Clearly the mystery wood is Populus spp. Mike, as to whether it's Populus nigra or not, I couldn't say. I find the Populus spp. species to be indistinguishable at 10X (and even at 300X for that matter). I think you'd need the tree / bark / leaves to be sure.

upload_2020-4-2_15-42-39.png

Last edited:

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
OK, nailed it. Got the box from Mike a few hours ago and took it right out to the garage. Only sanded to 400 grit (normally 1200) because I figured that would be enough to distinguish between Populus spp. (cottonwood and aspen) and Liriodendron tulipifera (poplar / yellow poplar / tulip poplar) as per post #124 and it was.

Three .03cm-square cross sections. On the left poplar, then the mystery wood (tiny bit vague because only 400 grit), then cottonwood. Clearly the mystery wood is Populus spp. Mike, as to whether it's Populus nigra or not, I couldn't say. I find the Populus spp. species to be indistinguishable at 10X (and even at 300X for that matter). I think you'd need the tree / bark / leaves to be sure.

View attachment 183658
Thank you sir. Hopefully big enough for sample for you.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David

View attachment 183658

Once you zoom in and show the little blue thingies, even I can see the difference...:sarcastic: