Box #1

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
My first attempt at a box. I made all the mistakes along the way. It wasn’t supposed to have hinges but that became part of the recovery process. It was supposed to have a tight fit lift off lid. You can see the recess on the top. I had to cut the corresponding lip off the bottom. The result is an unbalanced appearance with the top and bottom the same size and the splines uneven. All-in-a good exercise in becoming humble.

Some scrap sycamore I had taking up shop space and some of @Mike1950 thin wood for the top and bottom.

FAA4470A-6520-4EBE-A1DC-F5DD0A238B54.jpeg

A9C5CD68-269A-483F-9F96-2C2D78695EEC.jpeg

22D191D0-4DA1-42AD-907C-D98610CF9E52.jpeg

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Really nice box, Tom. Way better than my first attempt. The lid panel is especially striking. Splines are fun, aren't they.

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Tom, thanks for sharing. I certainly appreciate you as you just helped me learn some things. Now on to my own mistakes!! Merry Christmas.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Looks good Tom.

Maybe if you feel the need to keep working on it, you could fill in the recess with the same material as the splines?
Or make a panel to fit like a secret area, or use plexiglass or real glass to put something behind it like a shadow box.

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks good Tom.

Maybe if you feel the need to keep working on it, you could fill in the recess with the same material as the splines?
Or make a panel to fit like a secret area, or use plexiglass or real glass to put something behind it like a shadow box.
Some great ideas, Marc. I’ll pursue those.

Gonna have to be after the first of the year, though. I’ve dedicated next week to shop clean up, reorganizing and tool tune-up. At least that’s my plan today.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Nice- the thins are perfect for lids,bottoms trays-Etc. I have mixed up bottom and top on my coved boxes. Taking off 1/16 at a time and all of a sudden taking 3/8 is a definite wake up-leading to a design change. boxes are fun.

Ralph Muhs

Reaction score
First name
Ralph
My first attempt at a box. I made all the mistakes along the way. It wasn’t supposed to have hinges but that became part of the recovery process. It was supposed to have a tight fit lift off lid. You can see the recess on the top. I had to cut the corresponding lip off the bottom. The result is an unbalanced appearance with the top and bottom the same size and the splines uneven. All-in-a good exercise in becoming humble.

Some scrap sycamore I had taking up shop space and some of @Mike1950 thin wood for the top and bottom.

View attachment 198585

View attachment 198586

View attachment 198587
Now I have made one and you have made one. Does this qualify us as experts? Works for me!

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
I’m sure you are, Ralph, on box construction but I’m an expert on finding all the wrong ways to do something.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Nice looking box! There is no rule that says splines have to be evenly spaced, in fact, I like it when they aren't, gives another point of interest to look at. That top panel is spectacular!

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Tremendous! Hard to believe it is your first! I am queued up to build my first one this next year! Merry Christmas! Chuck

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
So I am curious what are you gonna put in that lovely box ?

MLyle
Actually, I wrapped in in blue shop towels and put in under the Christmas tree for my wife. We will have to see what goes in it.