Box elder

Kentucky clovis

Reaction score
First name
Jason
I have got ahold of some curly box elder and was wondering what was the best color to add to the stabilizer to bring out the curliness ? i will be vacuum chambering it , i really want red or green is this a good color for box elder. im just wondering you guys probably did enough to know the best colors.

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
What size and what is the end purpose? Got any pics?

Here’s a curly Box Elder raised bowl without any coloring added. Finish is probably buffed CA glue.
IMG_0461.jpeg IMG_0462.jpeg

Kentucky clovis

Reaction score
First name
Jason
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is the curl i would like to bring out with other colors ,not really interested in the natural red , want more of the old Mt dew can green color .i put amber shellac on these so you can see it better. if i can dye them or stabilize them would be good. im wanting to turn pot calls if it works out , but dont know what dye i need for dyeing .

Kentucky clovis

Reaction score
First name
Jason
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys , i believe i figured out the procedure . i have some Keda dye on the way gona try that for my coloring.

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
I have stumbled on some of your post. If you really want to know about how to use colors, my suggestion is to learn about “color theory”. Johannes Itten and Josef Albers- both were from the Bauhaus movement and they discovered color relationships with 7 fundamentals. Both Architectural and Interior Design majors required theses classes as they were very important to color scheme in art and design. An easy way to understand color combinations is to use watercolor. A standard cheap color pallete will do the job. Get a color wheel as well.

As far as box elder- if you use a finish with a tint of yellow, the red will turn orange. You have to pay attention on what dye and finish you use. If you use like an amber shellac, those reds on the box elder will become a deeper orange. If you use poly clear, it will not be affected. If you use cellulose nitrate, which yellows over time will make the red become more orange over time. Oil finish will do the same.

Maple is one of the best species to use if you want to practice with color dyeing. However with the caveat, that maple has a tint of yellow. So when you put a blue dye (without any other colors), it will have a tint of blue green. Guitar tops with dyed finishes are a good example to see how luthiers or big companies work with maple.

I use “ColorTone” dyes for maple. There are dyes that were available back then, but over the time the dye faded- wasn’t great with color fastness. So pay attention when you select the dye brand. Also, pay attention to the higher concentration of the dye as that affects clarity of the stain. There are double and triple staining method as well that makes the wood look more vivid, more electric and gives it more depth.

Color mixing and dyeing is an art form and the more you understand color theory (including finishing), the more unique and unusual your finished product will become.

Last edited: