• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Box of free wood

barefoot

Reaction score
First name
Carla
Larry Burgin sent me a nice box of paulownia for the price of shipping. I haven't been able to get that wood for a while, so I'm very grateful and would like to pass the favor on.
I'm sending a flat rate box out with the wood to the first person who claims it--$15.50 shipping.
Here's are pictures of the wood. They have been drying in my shop since @ 2005. Sorry for not including measurements. I was interrupted by the worst storm we've had here in years. Just got the internet back and want to get this done before I lose power again. The big chunk of sugar maple is @ 11" x 5" to give you some scale to judge by. IMGP1793.JPG IMGP1794.JPG IMGP1795.JPG

I'd love to see what you make out of it, as some of the burls are pretty nice. That piece of ipe (Brazilian walnut) is the hardest, toughest wood I've ever used--the same wood I make my drumsticks out of; it would make a great handle. I imagine this lot will go to some early bird. c:
I could make some measurements for anybody who really wants them, but at the moment I have a terrified cat in my lap--because the thunder is wicked tonight and I'd better get off the computer right now.

Last edited:

barefoot

Reaction score
First name
Carla
I'll take it!!! :yipee:

Ok, Lou! Good catch. Should I just type my cell phone # here, written out in words so you can use PayPal for the $15.50? If not, how do I let you know my Paypal connection?

Let me know when it's done. I might be able to get it to the PO tonight, but probably tomorrow.

Carla Kelly

Last edited:

Gonzalodqa

Reaction score
First name
Gonzalo
You make drumsticks out of ipe? That must be a really tough experience, really heavy drumsticks.

barefoot

Reaction score
First name
Carla
Ok! That makes more sense than drum set drumsticks
Better believe it. Those sticks are quite heavy. They are regularly beaten against the 1/4" steel rings on the drums. I spent four years working with my drum teacher to find a wood that wouldn't shatter in that capacity. I tried many rosewoods, ironwood, maple, lignum vitae, ebony, wenge, African mahogany, ash, hickory, oak, redheart, blahblah. Ipe is the wood--unbelievably tough, very hard without being brittle. The heartwood will sink in water. But you probably already know all that.

Last edited:

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Ok, Lou! Good catch. Should I just type my cell phone # here, written out in words so you can use PayPal for the $15.50? If not, how do I let you know my Paypal connection?

Let me know when it's done. I might be able to get it to the PO tonight, but probably tomorrow.

Carla Kelly
Send lou a private message, (conversation) and exchange info there.

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Go to Lou's post, click on his name. A box will appear and in the lower left hand corner, is a "Start Conversation" box. Click, and give out the info to Lou. ............ Jerry (in Tucson)

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Is there a delete button for a wrong post? I need one. c:
Members cannot delete a post. they can only edit their own post.

Cartla, I've tried several times, but I haven't found where it might be hidden. Hope @ripjack13 chimes in. ............ Jerry (in Tucson)
What am I looking for?

Arn, I put it on your home page under "conversation" as I was advised to do. Please check there.
I don't see it....