Boxcutter for 2feathers Creative Making

Bigg081

Connoisseur of Man Glitter
Reaction score
First name
Shane
I am not a knife maker but without the epoxy is there ever a concern that the handles will start to loosen over time? I know after the handle is peened it will be very tight, but can the wood start to wear around the pins?

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
I am not a knife maker but without the epoxy is there ever a concern that the handles will start to loosen over time? I know after the handle is peened it will be very tight, but can the wood start to wear around the pins?
The peened handles on my cleaver didn't get loose until the wood deteriorated. That was about 60 years in.

RJBud1

Reaction score
First name
RJ
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes! If the holes in the handle are drilled larger than the peened pins, they can definitely shift over time.

But, if you get you're holes drilled to the right size, there's no need to worry about the handles moving.

Though I can say on this boxcutter I've decided the epoxy route as I don't feel like drilling holes into hardened steel (I drilled the holes at 3/16"...too big for peening pinstock".

Unfortunately my belt sander table broke so I need to make a new one. It shouldn't affect anything too much, but it will mean I will have to use more primitive means for handle shaping.

For handles I'm thinking of going with a section of either a scrap of my bradford pear wood, or just maple. It depends on how big the scrap piece is.

I've also started a big project - more of a pet project than anything. But I set out to make one of every type of the 13 or 14 main machetes.

I have made 2 so far, a Latin type, which I posted the other day, and a hawkbill.

I'll post the hawkbill once I get the boxcutter's handles on, that way I can post everything at once.

RJBud1

Reaction score
First name
RJ
I must not have posted the fact that I am out of epoxy. I use a specific type know for its sheer strength, called G-Flex Epoxy by West Systems.

Anyway, I have more of that coming by the 9th. Sorry for the hold up. I've decided that I'm going to roll with osage orange for the handles.

RJBud1

Reaction score
First name
RJ
I still expect to see it when it gets here...
Hey,

So right now I'm just not happy with the current product.

I'm thinking of putting what I call a "super harden" on it, basically I heat it hotter thsn usual, quench it, and do a very mild temper cycle. Usually knives should never go in hardness over 62 HRC, but since this is a boxcutter it's going to DULL quick. The only problem is, you can't really use it as a multi tool, it'll be prone to chipping, and don't even try to pry anything open with it.

Basically you'll get a super hard, long lasting blade with basically zero durability and resistance.

Pros:
Extremely Hard
Great Edge Retention
Not Prone to Wearing

Cons:
Not Durable
No Resistance to Snapping

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Hey,

So right now I'm just not happy with the current product.

I'm thinking of putting what I call a "super harden" on it, basically I heat it hotter thsn usual, quench it, and do a very mild temper cycle. Usually knives should never go in hardness over 62 HRC, but since this is a boxcutter it's going to DULL quick. The only problem is, you can't really use it as a multi tool, it'll be prone to chipping, and don't even try to pry anything open with it.

Basically you'll get a super hard, long lasting blade with basically zero durability and resistance.

Pros:
Extremely Hard
Great Edge Retention
Not Prone to Wearing

Cons:
Not Durable
No Resistance to Snapping
You are the knife maker. I am not going to need to pry anything with it... 16558481563734475018624426736582.jpg I got a few prying things at hand. This is the truck I work out of. My home storage area gots more stuffs...

SubVet10

Veteran, Author, Maker
Reaction score
First name
Brandon
Nice shape so far. Looking forward to the scales.

RJBud1

Reaction score
First name
RJ
I just am not happy with the other blade.

So I am going to start fresh.

Here's some new progress. Instead of a satin finish, I will tumble this instead!

Don't mind the multiple holes, those will be covered up later.

(Might have misplaced my center punch) :cool:

16579429401532568025202276387815.jpg

Reaction score
First name
Frank
I just am not happy with the other blade.

So I am going to start fresh.

Here's some new progress. Instead of a satin finish, I will tumble this instead!

Don't mind the multiple holes, those will be covered up later.

(Might have misplaced my center punch) :cool:

View attachment 229137
I am happy with the finish you have in this picture. It shows off the fact that it isn't a factory blade. I am a rustic kind of guy. My froe is an old horse shoeing rasp with the teeth showing. And I like that.
You are the maker here, so ultimately, make it yours. I am just putting my $ .02 in.