Boxing or Knockout

Mark.

Reaction score
First name
Mark
i think I am in the rite place to ask for help & advice. While my question may or may not be entirely about box making, but it is like a box on a large scale. I seam to have hit a wall on this one. Making a trunk/coffee table using dovetail. It normally wouldn't be a problem but, using old barn wood & most all of it has deep cracks & cups. I have tried clamping it into the jig & at first glance all the tails & pins appear to be clean. Then fitting the ends & sides is where my problem starts. Is there a way to clamp my boards that holds all the cracks tight while cutting the tails & pins that keeps all the cuts uniform, then also keeping them together to lock them in place. Hope I explained that well enough for Y'all to understand what I was asking. I will make a few pictures when I go back to the shop that may help to see what I am working with.

Mark.

Reaction score
First name
Mark
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I guess the wood must have known I was asking for help. Amazingly when I returned to the shop I was able to cut tails & pins with success. But yes I have planed both sides. Although I made minima passes on the one side that was to be expossed. That I believe was where the cupping occurred. Inorder to have the weathered board look we were looking for it also caused one side of the board to have several cracks that was 3/8 more less on one side. Briefly what I did when I went back to the shop was, clamp the boards from edge to edge, & face to face. Using extra long pocket screws, & countersinking them in both edges, & used CA glue to fill in the voids. Then it didn't hurt to be lucky, it came together . Hope no one is angry I didn't mean to wast anyone's time

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
Pics pics pics pics!!!!!

Glad it came together for you. Brink is a great resource for joinery solutions and banana recipes.