Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

boy howdy, has THIS guy got some balls

Discussion in 'General Woodturning Discussion' started by phinds, Aug 10, 2019.

1. phinds

phinds Moderator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Paul
  2. Eric Rorabaugh

Eric Rorabaugh Member Full Member

First name:
    Eric
    Wow for that price, I could sell blanks of it for at least $100 a piece. Taking orders now! For the 25 customers, I'll give you a 50% discount!
    :lol2::lol2::lol2:
    And his price is 20% off! CRAZY!!!

3. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    That does require a set of T-rex sized cajones to ask that amount of money...

4. phinds

phinds Moderator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Paul
    Oh, and I forgot to point out, he has NUMEROUS such offers, all "museum quality" poplar and all with that really ugly brown stain. Prices are literally insane, as is anyone who buys from him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. DKMD

DKMD Sawbones Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    David
    Not my cup of tea, but the Moulthrop name carries some weight in the world of woodturning. I believe the family was somewhat pioneering in turning large scale hollowforms.

It’s pretty easy to find similar examples from other ‘famous’ woodturners... where the makers name adds a premium to the actual work.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. phinds

First name:
    Paul
    Yeah, that's understandable but a crappy brown stain on plain tulip poplar? You'd think the guy could at least use decent wood. Looks to me like he's not just coasting on his name, he's speeding downhill.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Mr. Peet

Mr. Peet Member Full Member

First name:
    Mark
    Stupid people are taken advantage of every day...just another fine example.

I've said it before on here, neighbor up the street gets an Amish made chair (my cost $125 rough) for $250 finished, has Brad Pitt sign the bottom and sells them for $800 each. Chair doesn't work any better, but stupid people automatically think it must...

8. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Marc
    I dare anyone to make a lowball offer on it, and send it.

Screenshot_20190810-225555.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. phinds

First name:
    Paul
    Well, making a low-ball offer would be easy enough but personally I would feel compelled to accompany it with a comment or two and they would not be well received. :smile:

10. Nature Man

Nature Man Member Full Member

First name:
    Chuck
    Seriously!!!!!???!!! This piece is so overpriced I can't believe it! What a joke! Chuck

11. barry richardson

barry richardson Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    They had a traveling display of Moulthrop stuff here in the Phoenix Botanical Garden a couple of years ago, about a dozen pieces or so, it was nice stuff, but by current standards nothing special, Like Doc said, they got into the game early when hollow forms were novel and unusual and they have brilliantly marketed their work ever since, the info in their display said they have a piece in the Smithsonian, and others owned by a couple of US presidents, on casual viewing I could see tool marks inside their forms that could have easily been sanded out, but I guess they don't need to, it is their name that commands the high price. Kinda like Nakashima, he started making slab furniture first, so his name carries a high price tag, but it seems pretty pedestrian by today's standards... One thing I noticed is that the pics you show look like a satin finish, whereas the work I saw all had the super glossy epoxy looking finish, it was kind of their signature thing, in fact there is a youtube video somewhere showing one of them slathering the finish that looked like bartop on a slowly turning vessel, .... maybe they are moving away from that..... But at any rate, if they can get that price, god bless em, ....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. phinds

First name:
    Paul
    Hm ... something like "god bless em" was what I also had in mind, but I think we might have meant it differently.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Nubsnstubs

Nubsnstubs Where is it??? Full Member

First name:
    Jerry
    The July/August, 1983 edition of Fine Woodworking had an article, "Turning Giant Bowls, Ed Moulthrop's tools and techniques", written by Dale Nish. I was inspired by the size and simplicity of his home made lathe. But, earning a living took precedence over a fascination with wood turning. I had to retire before I took it up, even though I've had a 12" Delta Milwaukee lathe since 1982......
    I saw another article later where he has one of his grand kids photographed in one of his giant hollowforms............ Jerry (in Tucson)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mike Hill

Mike Hill The Bard of Barbecue Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    He was an Architect located in Atlanta - taught at Georgia Tech. Kinda "at the right place at the right time". Often called "The Father of Modern Woodturning". I've been to a couple of exhibitions of his work - including the High. His signature finish was indeed shiny. He had a good eye for proportions, but what was most impressive was the size of his pieces - Mega! He might have been a frufru Architect, but he must have had - as Tony calls 'em "T-rex cajones" to spin those big pieces of wood.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nubsnstubs

Nubsnstubs Where is it??? Full Member

First name:
    Jerry
    Below is the size of stuff I wanted to do, but reality sunk in when I realized I live in the desert and most stuff is called huge when it reaches 12" diameter. Today, I am now finding much larger than 12"and upwards over 30" OD, but still don't have the machine nor desire to make a machine that will accommodate those sizes. I'll bet Tony could fit in the hollow form and get lost in that goblet. :lol2: Sorry Tony, I couldn't resist.

upload_2019-8-16_6-23-12.jpeg [​IMG]............. Jerry (in Tucson)

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Graybeard

Graybeard Member Full Member

First name:
    David
  17. phinds

First name:
    Paul
    Well, Here's the description of the ugly piece I posted the link to:
    A 15" diameter is large but "impressively large" is a stretch, and handsome just means the guy who wrote the description thinks ugly="handsome"

18. CWS

CWS Member Full Member

First name:
    Curt
    Well it is not what you ask but what you get. Reminds me of a friend. He would ask a lady if she wanted to sleep with him. 99 times out of a hundred they refused, but there was this one that made it worth it.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. TimR

TimR Sawdust Engineer Full Member

First name:
    Tim
    When it comes to big turning, they don’t get much deeper than Anatoly’s. When we lived in Charlotte, we lived about 15 minutes from his shop. Fun to see him work with these huge blanks. He occasionally brought in small pieces(18-20 inches) to auction for raising funds for our chapter. Talk about folks ponying up to buy tickets! :wacko:
    I think some of his bigger pieces easily into 5 figures.

20. phinds

First name:
    Paul
    Gads. A catch on one of those things could sure ruin your day.

• Agree Agree x 2
Current Time: 11:52 PM