boy howdy, has THIS guy got some balls

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Wow for that price, I could sell blanks of it for at least $100 a piece. Taking orders now! For the 25 customers, I'll give you a 50% discount!
:lol2::lol2::lol2:
And his price is 20% off! CRAZY!!!

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
That does require a set of T-rex sized cajones to ask that amount of money...

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That does require a set of T-rex sized cajones to ask that amount of money...
Oh, and I forgot to point out, he has NUMEROUS such offers, all "museum quality" poplar and all with that really ugly brown stain. Prices are literally insane, as is anyone who buys from him.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Not my cup of tea, but the Moulthrop name carries some weight in the world of woodturning. I believe the family was somewhat pioneering in turning large scale hollowforms.

It’s pretty easy to find similar examples from other ‘famous’ woodturners... where the makers name adds a premium to the actual work.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Not my cup of tea, but the Moulthrop name carries some weight in the world of woodturning. I believe the family was somewhat pioneering in turning large scale hollowforms.

It’s pretty easy to find similar examples from other ‘famous’ woodturners... where the makers name adds a premium to the actual work.
Yeah, that's understandable but a crappy brown stain on plain tulip poplar? You'd think the guy could at least use decent wood. Looks to me like he's not just coasting on his name, he's speeding downhill.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Stupid people are taken advantage of every day...just another fine example.

I've said it before on here, neighbor up the street gets an Amish made chair (my cost $125 rough) for $250 finished, has Brad Pitt sign the bottom and sells them for $800 each. Chair doesn't work any better, but stupid people automatically think it must...

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I dare anyone to make a lowball offer on it, and send it.

Screenshot_20190810-225555.jpg

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Well, making a low-ball offer would be easy enough but personally I would feel compelled to accompany it with a comment or two and they would not be well received. :smile:

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Seriously!!!!!???!!! This piece is so overpriced I can't believe it! What a joke! Chuck

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
They had a traveling display of Moulthrop stuff here in the Phoenix Botanical Garden a couple of years ago, about a dozen pieces or so, it was nice stuff, but by current standards nothing special, Like Doc said, they got into the game early when hollow forms were novel and unusual and they have brilliantly marketed their work ever since, the info in their display said they have a piece in the Smithsonian, and others owned by a couple of US presidents, on casual viewing I could see tool marks inside their forms that could have easily been sanded out, but I guess they don't need to, it is their name that commands the high price. Kinda like Nakashima, he started making slab furniture first, so his name carries a high price tag, but it seems pretty pedestrian by today's standards... One thing I noticed is that the pics you show look like a satin finish, whereas the work I saw all had the super glossy epoxy looking finish, it was kind of their signature thing, in fact there is a youtube video somewhere showing one of them slathering the finish that looked like bartop on a slowly turning vessel, .... maybe they are moving away from that..... But at any rate, if they can get that price, god bless em, ....

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
if they can get that price, god bless em, ....
Hm ... something like "god bless em" was what I also had in mind, but I think we might have meant it differently.

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
The July/August, 1983 edition of Fine Woodworking had an article, "Turning Giant Bowls, Ed Moulthrop's tools and techniques", written by Dale Nish. I was inspired by the size and simplicity of his home made lathe. But, earning a living took precedence over a fascination with wood turning. I had to retire before I took it up, even though I've had a 12" Delta Milwaukee lathe since 1982......
I saw another article later where he has one of his grand kids photographed in one of his giant hollowforms............ Jerry (in Tucson)

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
He was an Architect located in Atlanta - taught at Georgia Tech. Kinda "at the right place at the right time". Often called "The Father of Modern Woodturning". I've been to a couple of exhibitions of his work - including the High. His signature finish was indeed shiny. He had a good eye for proportions, but what was most impressive was the size of his pieces - Mega! He might have been a frufru Architect, but he must have had - as Tony calls 'em "T-rex cajones" to spin those big pieces of wood.

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Below is the size of stuff I wanted to do, but reality sunk in when I realized I live in the desert and most stuff is called huge when it reaches 12" diameter. Today, I am now finding much larger than 12"and upwards over 30" OD, but still don't have the machine nor desire to make a machine that will accommodate those sizes. I'll bet Tony could fit in the hollow form and get lost in that goblet. :lol2: Sorry Tony, I couldn't resist.

upload_2019-8-16_6-23-12.jpeg
images
............. Jerry (in Tucson)

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Well, Here's the description of the ugly piece I posted the link to:
Handsome, handmade wooden bowl is a museum quality work of art that took many months to create. It is impressively large, measuring 9 inches high x 15 inches in diameter.
A 15" diameter is large but "impressively large" is a stretch, and handsome just means the guy who wrote the description thinks ugly="handsome"

CWS

Reaction score
First name
Curt
Well it is not what you ask but what you get. Reminds me of a friend. He would ask a lady if she wanted to sleep with him. 99 times out of a hundred they refused, but there was this one that made it worth it.

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
When it comes to big turning, they don’t get much deeper than Anatoly’s. When we lived in Charlotte, we lived about 15 minutes from his shop. Fun to see him work with these huge blanks. He occasionally brought in small pieces(18-20 inches) to auction for raising funds for our chapter. Talk about folks ponying up to buy tickets! :wacko:
I think some of his bigger pieces easily into 5 figures.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
When it comes to big turning, they don’t get much deeper than Anatoly’s. When we lived in Charlotte, we lived about 15 minutes from his shop. Fun to see him work with these huge blanks. He occasionally brought in small pieces(18-20 inches) to auction for raising funds for our chapter. Talk about folks ponying up to buy tickets! :wacko:
I think some of his bigger pieces easily into 5 figures.
Gads. A catch on one of those things could sure ruin your day.