Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Broaching

Discussion in 'General Woodturning Discussion' started by Steve Smith, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Steve
    I have a low tech method of broaching a hexagon in my african blackwood driver handles; I tookm a 1/4" allen key and ground it to a ~45 degree bevel and then hone it. I mount it in the drill press and with the power off, slowly broach the hole drilled into the handle and cut away a bit at a time. It's rather tedious, so perhaps someone has a better method? This is a typical project below:

IMG_0096.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  2. TimR

TimR Sawdust Engineer Full Member

First name:
    Tim
    Sounds like a good low tech approach :good2:

3. TXMoon

TXMoon Member Full Member

First name:
    Kevin
    Right... what is "broaching"?

4. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    broach
    noun
    \ ˈbrōch

\
    Definition of broach
    (Entry 1 of 3)

1 : brooch wore a lovely broach on her lapel
    2 : any of various pointed or tapered tools, implements, or parts: such as
    a : a spit for roasting meat
    b : a tool for tapping casks
    c : a cutting tool for removing material from metal or plastic to shape an outside surface or a hole (** or, in this case wood **)

broach

verb (1)
    broached; broaching; broaches
    Definition of broach (Entry 2 of 3)

transitive verb

1a : to pierce (something, such as a cask) in order to draw the contents also : to open for the first time
    b : to open up or break into (a mine, stores, etc.)
    2 : to shape or enlarge (a hole) with a broach (see broach entry 1 sense 2c)
    3a : to make known for the first time
    b : to open up (a subject) for discussion a good time to broach the subject

He's drilling a hole in the handle, then using the altered allen wrench broach to make his hole 6 sided to fit the shank on the screw driver Kevin.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  5. TXMoon

TXMoon Member Full Member

First name:
    Kevin
    Oh cool. Thank you.

6. Graybeard

Graybeard Member Full Member

First name:
    David
    So Rocky if the wife asks you for noun #1 and you give her verb #2 you might be in trouble? Amazing how one word can be used in so many different ways. :givebeer:

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  7. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    And, that was only 2 of the 3 definitions offered!

8. Karl_TN

Karl_TN Member Full Member

First name:
    Karl
    Guess I'm a little slow. Got any pics to show what you mean by "broaching"?

9. kweinert

kweinert Member Full Member

First name:
    Ken
  10. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Steve
    @kweinert Yes, I had found a youtube video on their products. That type of broach is over $100 and the rotary holder can go into the four figures. I'm too cheap for that. If I was pumping these things out by the score, then it would be worthwhile, but I only have 7 or so to make this go around.

11. kweinert

First name:
    Ken
    Yeah, I figured it was overkill. Also don't know how well that tool would work on wood.

I'll ask a dumb question here - have you thought about using a mortising bit? I think the smallest I've seen is 1/4" so it's probably too big. If it was the right size then just 3 cuts with a 60 degree turn between them would do the job.
    Just a random thought.

• Like Like x 1
  12. duncsuss

duncsuss Trying to turn a little better each day Full Member

First name:
    Duncan
    Your random thought and my random thought must have been drinking in the same bar ... :sarcastic:

My idea was to get a nice sharp chisel the width of one of the flats on the hexagon, and put the workpiece in a chuck on the lathe. Set the tool rest height so the chisel will be level when the bevel is down, in place to cut the top flat. Tap-tap-tap, then turn the lathe spindle through 60 degrees. Repeat. I expect it's nowhere near as easy as this in practice!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nubsnstubs

Nubsnstubs Where is it??? Full Member

First name:
    Jerry
    I'll answer your dumb question. A mortise bit is a square, 90 degrees each side. Turn it any angle 45 degrees, and it will make 8 points.

A hexagon is only six sides, where a octagon has 8 sides. I sure as scat hope I'm right.

When I was a young lad fresh out of the Army, I worked in a bearing manufacturing plant in Santa Ana, California. They had 4 broach machines that had what looked like long reamers that would pull through a bearing shell removing a thousandth or two off each piece. They could put 25 shells on the arbor, hit a switch, and within 2-3 seconds, those 25 shells were final sized. Each machine had an operator as it was that fast.

I've seen broaches for making Allen sockets that look like teeth nibbling away at a drilled hole making the Allen socket. Someone ought to make a video with chomp, chomp each time it takes a bite. There are others that just punch down into the drilled hole leaving the size socket required. ............ Jerry (in Tucson)

14. kweinert

First name:
    Ken
    True - but why do you have to turn it 45 degrees? If it's the right size then you could do a square hole with cut 1 which creates two opposite sides, turn the piece 60 degrees, line up with the corner, cut #2, then do the same for cut #3.

I'm going to have to create a 2D model to see if that makes sense - but that's what was in my mind :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nubsnstubs

Nubsnstubs Where is it??? Full Member

First name:
    Jerry
    Ken, I think I understand what you're saying. I have a mortise set, and will do an actual cut and see if what you just said works. Unfortunately, using a 5/16" mortise chisel, the smallest I have, will make a larger hole than wanted. I should have this done tomorrow afternoon. ...... Jerry (in Tucson)

16. TimR

TimR Sawdust Engineer Full Member

First name:
    Tim
    Been thinking about this. I would go one step beyond what you originally intended by using successively larger Allen keys to remove just a little bit at a time . Thus would be more consistent with what broaches in machining do with tapering . It’ll put less stress on your piece I think.

17. duncsuss

duncsuss Trying to turn a little better each day Full Member

First name:
    Duncan
    Doesn't quite work. Draw a hexagon, then drop vertical lines from top-left corner to bottom-left corner, and top-right corner to bottom-right corner. What you have is a rectangle, not a square (it's taller than it is wide). You would need a mortise chisel this profile for your suggestion (three cuts, each rotated 60 degrees) to work.

18. kweinert

First name:
    Ken
    So it would take 6 cuts instead of 3 - but in the size we're talking here it's not practical.

Sorry, just thinking out loud. Sometimes that's useful as it gets people thinking outside their box. Sometimes it's just noise.

• Like Like x 2
Current Time: 11:24 PM