Broaching

Steve Smith

Reaction score
First name
Steve
I have a low tech method of broaching a hexagon in my african blackwood driver handles; I tookm a 1/4" allen key and ground it to a ~45 degree bevel and then hone it. I mount it in the drill press and with the power off, slowly broach the hole drilled into the handle and cut away a bit at a time. It's rather tedious, so perhaps someone has a better method? This is a typical project below:

IMG_0096.JPG

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
I have a low tech method of broaching a hexagon in my african blackwood driver handles; I tookm a 1/4" allen key and ground it to a ~45 degree bevel and then hone it. I mount it in the drill press and with the power off, slowly broach the hole drilled into the handle and cut away a bit at a time. It's rather tedious, so perhaps someone has a better method? This is a typical project below:

View attachment 170009
Sounds like a good low tech approach :good2:

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
broach
noun
\ ˈbrōch

\
Definition of broach
(Entry 1 of 3)

1 : brooch wore a lovely broach on her lapel
2 : any of various pointed or tapered tools, implements, or parts: such as
a : a spit for roasting meat
b : a tool for tapping casks
c : a cutting tool for removing material from metal or plastic to shape an outside surface or a hole (** or, in this case wood **)

broach

verb (1)
broached; broaching; broaches
Definition of broach (Entry 2 of 3)

transitive verb

1a : to pierce (something, such as a cask) in order to draw the contents also : to open for the first time
b : to open up or break into (a mine, stores, etc.)
2 : to shape or enlarge (a hole) with a broach (see broach entry 1 sense 2c)
3a : to make known for the first time
b : to open up (a subject) for discussion a good time to broach the subject

He's drilling a hole in the handle, then using the altered allen wrench broach to make his hole 6 sided to fit the shank on the screw driver Kevin.

Last edited:

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
So Rocky if the wife asks you for noun #1 and you give her verb #2 you might be in trouble? Amazing how one word can be used in so many different ways. :givebeer:

Last edited:

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Guess I'm a little slow. Got any pics to show what you mean by "broaching"?

Steve Smith

Reaction score
First name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@kweinert Yes, I had found a youtube video on their products. That type of broach is over $100 and the rotary holder can go into the four figures. I'm too cheap for that. If I was pumping these things out by the score, then it would be worthwhile, but I only have 7 or so to make this go around.

kweinert

Reaction score
First name
Ken
@kweinert Yes, I had found a youtube video on their products. That type of broach is over $100 and the rotary holder can go into the four figures. I'm too cheap for that. If I was pumping these things out by the score, then it would be worthwhile, but I only have 7 or so to make this go around.

Yeah, I figured it was overkill. Also don't know how well that tool would work on wood.

I'll ask a dumb question here - have you thought about using a mortising bit? I think the smallest I've seen is 1/4" so it's probably too big. If it was the right size then just 3 cuts with a 60 degree turn between them would do the job.
Just a random thought.

duncsuss

Trying to turn a little better each day
Reaction score
First name
Duncan
Just a random thought.
Your random thought and my random thought must have been drinking in the same bar ... :sarcastic:

My idea was to get a nice sharp chisel the width of one of the flats on the hexagon, and put the workpiece in a chuck on the lathe. Set the tool rest height so the chisel will be level when the bevel is down, in place to cut the top flat. Tap-tap-tap, then turn the lathe spindle through 60 degrees. Repeat. I expect it's nowhere near as easy as this in practice!

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Yeah, I figured it was overkill. Also don't know how well that tool would work on wood.

I'll ask a dumb question here - have you thought about using a mortising bit? I think the smallest I've seen is 1/4" so it's probably too big. If it was the right size then just 3 cuts with a 60 degree turn between them would do the job.
Just a random thought.
I'll answer your dumb question. A mortise bit is a square, 90 degrees each side. Turn it any angle 45 degrees, and it will make 8 points.

A hexagon is only six sides, where a octagon has 8 sides. I sure as scat hope I'm right.

When I was a young lad fresh out of the Army, I worked in a bearing manufacturing plant in Santa Ana, California. They had 4 broach machines that had what looked like long reamers that would pull through a bearing shell removing a thousandth or two off each piece. They could put 25 shells on the arbor, hit a switch, and within 2-3 seconds, those 25 shells were final sized. Each machine had an operator as it was that fast.

I've seen broaches for making Allen sockets that look like teeth nibbling away at a drilled hole making the Allen socket. Someone ought to make a video with chomp, chomp each time it takes a bite. There are others that just punch down into the drilled hole leaving the size socket required. ............ Jerry (in Tucson)

kweinert

Reaction score
First name
Ken
I'll answer your dumb question. A mortise bit is a square, 90 degrees each side. Turn it any angle 45 degrees, and it will make 8 points.

A hexagon is only six sides, where a octagon has 8 sides. I sure as scat hope I'm right.

............ Jerry (in Tucson)

True - but why do you have to turn it 45 degrees? If it's the right size then you could do a square hole with cut 1 which creates two opposite sides, turn the piece 60 degrees, line up with the corner, cut #2, then do the same for cut #3.

I'm going to have to create a 2D model to see if that makes sense - but that's what was in my mind :)

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Ken, I think I understand what you're saying. I have a mortise set, and will do an actual cut and see if what you just said works. Unfortunately, using a 5/16" mortise chisel, the smallest I have, will make a larger hole than wanted. I should have this done tomorrow afternoon. ...... Jerry (in Tucson)

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Been thinking about this. I would go one step beyond what you originally intended by using successively larger Allen keys to remove just a little bit at a time . Thus would be more consistent with what broaches in machining do with tapering . It’ll put less stress on your piece I think.

duncsuss

Trying to turn a little better each day
Reaction score
First name
Duncan
True - but why do you have to turn it 45 degrees? If it's the right size then you could do a square hole with cut 1 which creates two opposite sides, turn the piece 60 degrees, line up with the corner, cut #2, then do the same for cut #3.

I'm going to have to create a 2D model to see if that makes sense - but that's what was in my mind :)

Doesn't quite work. Draw a hexagon, then drop vertical lines from top-left corner to bottom-left corner, and top-right corner to bottom-right corner. What you have is a rectangle, not a square (it's taller than it is wide). You would need a mortise chisel this profile for your suggestion (three cuts, each rotated 60 degrees) to work.

kweinert

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Doesn't quite work. Draw a hexagon, then drop vertical lines from top-left corner to bottom-left corner, and top-right corner to bottom-right corner. What you have is a rectangle, not a square (it's taller than it is wide). You would need a mortise chisel this profile for your suggestion (three cuts, each rotated 60 degrees) to work.

So it would take 6 cuts instead of 3 - but in the size we're talking here it's not practical.

Sorry, just thinking out loud. Sometimes that's useful as it gets people thinking outside their box. Sometimes it's just noise.