Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Bugs in wood from ebay seller

Discussion in 'Shipping Information' started by TheWoodWizard, Feb 7, 2016.

1. TheWoodWizard

TheWoodWizard Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Jarred
    I have been perusing the forum more lately in an effort to become more familiar with the site, the members, and the art of buying, selling, and trading wood online. Reading the shipping forum prompted me to ask about an incident that happened to me a few months ago...
    I bought some wood from an eBay seller, who will remain nameless for the time being. I had purchased some buckeye burl bottle stopper blanks. When I got them, I opened the package and there was a fair amount of blue dust that came out. I am more knowledgeable now, than I was then. Two days later, I get in the shop and noticed my prized piece of claro walnut had bug holes in it! After inspection, I discovered the same blue dust on it that came out of my package. The walnut was on a shelf directly below my buckeye burl. So I took the buckeye out of the package to inspect. It was obvious to me that this was the source of the new bugs. I spent weeks trying to contain them, and after isolating all of my afflicted wood, I contained them. I vac sealed every piece that was affected, and threw them in a big air tight container...where they still lie.
    Before the eBay purchase, I never had a problem with pests in my stock, and after, some of my most prized pieces are ruined(not completely but for the sake of pouting, THEY'RE DESTROYED, haha)
    I contacted the eBay seller. I was polite, did not make outright accusations but stated through deductive reasoning, I believe they sent me blanks which still had pests in them. Nowhere in the description of the item did it mention bug damage, much less the possibility of bugs still being in the wood. Which I told the seller, and kindly asked for them to get back to me. They refuse to even acknowledge me, much less take action or reply.
    Anyone have any recommendations as to what I should do? I had given up until I read some of your forum posts about similar stuff. I'm not looking for any handouts, but I overpayed for something that cost me tremendously in the end. Thanks guys..

2. Tclem

Tclem Can't buy love. Buy wood instead Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    File a paypal claim for defective wood maybe. Anyway. Tony here from mccomb/Brookhaven Ms area. I get sent to Monroe every now and then to work. About 3 hours from you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cody Killgore

Cody Killgore Member Full Member

First name:
    Cody
    I've also gotten some Buckeye from eBay that had bugs. Luckily, they didn't seem to spread too much to other wood and I ended up just throwing the Buckeye away. Oh well. Don't know what there is you can do except go through ebay.

Greetings from Ruston.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    Bugs- "If you never had them you have not handled much wood- do not know much about them or worse -you are a liar" This or close to this is what a big northwest seller of very fine woods states. The kind of wood we seek- the weird stuff- burl-curl-quilt-root etc is very prone to bugs. I try to sterilize- 132 degrees everything I get. I segregate new stuff. until I can put it in kiln....

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheWoodWizard

First name:
    Jarred
    HOT DAMN! Another woodie this close to home?! Definitely need to sync up, Cody. We are few and far between around these parts.

I have since started the same practice with segregating new stuff til it's ponyboy. Definitely need to look into a kiln. I need a new shop first:( My front porch is my temp workspace...all my tools are entirely too exposed. Thanks for the advice though!

• Like Like x 1
  6. robert flynt

robert flynt Member Full Member

First name:
    Robert
    I cut my wood a little over size when I get it then put it in an big ice chest with at least a 60 watt light bulb and leave it until it releases no more moisture and stays at 130 deg. for a few days. If you know it has bugs you can spray it with Bengal bug spray which has very little if any smell and is not oily. then put it in a sealable bag like what is used to vacuum seal clothes for a few days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. TheWoodWizard

First name:
    Jarred
    Wow, that's awesome. A 60W puts out that much heat? No wonder we switched to cfl bulbs. And the ice chest holds up at those temps? I don't have to buy one of them yetis do I? Haha

8. robert flynt

First name:
    Robert
    It might take a bigger bulb in in the winter and my standard ice chest seem to hold up just fine. when using it to dry wood I put a small wedge under the lid so the moisture can get out. the temp will gradually climb the drier the wood gets.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. robert flynt

First name:
    Robert
    I have a pan light that I put in the ice chest so the bulb doesn't touch the plastic inside the ice chest.

10. Kevin

Kevin Wood is good. Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Kevin
    Mine won't be a very popular answer but here goes anyway. I think it is unreasonable for any of us to expect professionally kiln dried wood that has gone through a bug kill cycle, all the while knowing we are bargain shopping, buying from other hobbyists or at best parttime wood sellers.

Even if you limit yourself to 'professional' vendors only, eventually you're going to get bugs unless you run every piece of wood you buy through your own cycle as soon as it's delievered. And if you didn't burn the box immediately upon removing the wood you still might get them. They do bore into card oard you know.

The reason the seller isn't contacting you is because he knows it would take thousands and thousands of dollars for you to prove the bugs came from his wood, if you ever could at all. And the other reason is he knows his wood is not the only wood you have ever bought or traded for or harvested, so why should he own up to it based on your hunch or accussations?

Even if you saw bugs coming out of my wood as soon as you removed it from the box (which is a possibility with mine!) I wouldn't feel obligated to do anything more than give you a refund if you wanted it because I know my wood is not the only buggy wood that has, or will, come into your shop.

In a perfect world bugs wouldn't exist. Then of course that perfect world could not have ambrosia or flamed maple in it either. It's not reasonable to expect to buy wood from all over the country and world without getting the occasional bug-infested wood no more than you can swim everyday and not expect the occasional case of swimmer's ear.

Manage the bugs as best you can, but expect them if you're going to buy wood regularly.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Great Post Great Post x 1
  11. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    Well said

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tclem

Tclem Can't buy love. Buy wood instead Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    @Mike1950 @Kevin yhe last boxes of wood I got from y'all had bugs and I will be awaiting another box of fbe from you Kevin and box elder burl from you mike or else I will get @SENC to represent me in a highly publicized jury trial.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Sprung

Sprung Amateur Sawdust Maker Full Member

First name:
    Matt
    I agree with Kevin's post - very well said. It's just one of the things about buying/selling/trading wood - eventually you're going to have to deal with bugs. Especially so when dealing with green or air dried wood.

I've had bugs in my wood stash - spent several weeks running batch after batch through a bug kill cycle in a small kiln I built in an hour. I've learned to segregate and run stuff through a bug kill cycle when it comes in. I'm fairly certain I know the sources of the woods that had bugs in them. I have bought or will buy from those places or individuals again, no problem, especially since it all goes through the kiln now when I get it. Right now I've only got a small kiln I put together for short boards (24" and under) or turning stock. Eventually I plan to build a kiln that can handle a small amount of lumber for when/if I need to run some full boards through a kiln or a bug kill cycle.

14. Kevin

Kevin Wood is good. Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Kevin
    Just reading the way you reasoned all that out Tony, neither Mike nor myself are going to lose any sleep over your threats, especially in light of who you have chosen to represent you.

Hey Mike let's get together over a couple of long distance beers tonight and discuss our defense strategies agaisnt Abbot and Costello...

:rofl:
    :drinks3:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. SENC

SENC ... Full Member

First name:
    Henry
    Tony may not have a great case, but if you keep abusing the english language like this I'll have to send @duncsuss and the grammar SWAT after you!
    "Neither Mike nor I" would be correct. Literally and figuratively.

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. duncsuss

duncsuss Trying to turn a little better each day Full Member

First name:
    Duncan
    I'm stunned ... a lawyer does not usually admit there's a weakness in the client's case :sarcastic:

Years ago I read a book with the Lawyers' Creed: "When the law is against you, argue the facts. When the facts are against you, argue the law. When both are against you, call the other lawyer names."

:nerd:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. SENC

SENC ... Full Member

First name:
    Henry
    Yes, well, I suspect they might have felt differently if Tony was the client.:sarcastic:

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. Kevin

First name:
    Kevin
    Fortunately in Haines v. Kerner, 404 U.S. 520, the SCOTUS ruled that "pro se pleadings should be held to "less stringent standards" than those drafted by attorneys. And fortunately in reality, neither judges nor juries hold grammatical errors against either the plaintiff or defendants.

File that Bug claim Henry and let's watch the judge break the world record for a gavel-slam when he rules in favor of my 12(b)(6) motion under the FRCP because if you file it in state court I am dragging it into federal court under the interstate commerce clause, where the courts have a higher likelihood to send you packing.

But Henry get Tony's retainer in advance it takes a lot of time to ake 50,000 hairsticks . . . . .

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. kweinert

kweinert Member Full Member

First name:
    Ken
    At a club demo once the demonstrator was turning a bowl out of green wood. As it was passed around later a (presumably very dizzy) bug was showing up from one of the holes.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. woodintyuuu

woodintyuuu Member Full Member

First name:
    cliff
    if i actually see the bugs I charge more.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
Current Time: 7:00 PM