Bugs

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Powder Post Beetles anyone? I'm in the process of cutting turning blanks for my Nephew. I ran across some Pecan at the log yard where I cut firewood. I kept a small log for myself and a few pieces I cut for making blanks. This log, waiting it turn outside, waited a little too long. Might chuck it into the BBQ wood pile.

IMG_1144-2.jpg

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Sure looks like it to me. I would like to hear a couple suggestions on killing these critters off. Chuck

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pecan, Hickory, Ash and Walnut sapwood. We used to keep the bark wet before milling and then spray the stickered pile with Lindain. Not sure that worked.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
They very much like my holly also. After they got finished with it - I had to call it "holey holly". Turned and sold a couple of hollowed pieces and it looked like I did some embellishment without having to go to the trouble of doing the embellishment. Luckily they liked the holly enough they did not get into the curly maple that was standing right next to it.

Last edited:

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
They very much like my holly also. After they got finished with it - I had to call it "holey holly". Turned and sold a couple of hollowed pieces and it looked like I did some embellishment without having to go to the trouble of doing the embellishment. Luckily they liked the holly enough they did not get into the curly maple that was standing right next to it.
Amen to that. I collected a trunk section or two from the same barn that held the old apple... I burned it. There wasn't enough solid wood to hold the powder together!