Bulletwood

Fowlup

Reaction score
First name
Derek
I am carrying on my Dad's Striker business and have not been able to find any Bulletwood in his current stock. If anyone has any leads on obtaining some please send me a link or let me know. Thanks!

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Derek, please read through our rules then take a minute and tell us bout yourself and your woodworking. Thanks, Tony

Fowlup

Reaction score
First name
Derek
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My Name is Derek Fowler. I live in Danville Georgia and make turkey pot call strikers. My Dad was Harold Fowler who owned and operated "Harold's Custom Strikers" for 30 years. After his passing I felt I needed to continue the Striker business my Dad had worked so many years to establish. His strikers were tested and proven over the years to be one of the best on the market. I continue to make all the same strikers with the only change being the ring pattern in the striker head. I make the one piece, two piece, three piece and five piece strikers as my Dad did with many different exotic and native woods. As I learn the art of "turning" I'm always looking for guidance and help with improving and mastering this craft, as well as learning the compatibility of certain woods with different pot call surfaces. After reviewing some of the forums on this site I felt it might help me to join to learn from others as well as possibly obtain some of the woods as I start to run out of from my Dad's inventory stock.

MODERATOR NOTE: Derek, I changed this from all bold to regular since bold's interpreted as yelling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fowlup

Reaction score
First name
Derek
Just a little history. I made a shadow box of some of the different strikers my Dad had made. 20200222_091358 (1).jpg

Ray D

Reaction score
First name
Ray
Welcome. Glad to see your taking over your father’s business…he’s quite a legend in the turkey striker business.

Fowlup

Reaction score
First name
Derek
Here are a few photos of my Strikers.

One Piece Strikers....Desert Ironwood:
Desert Ironwood back A.jpg

Snakewood two piece:
20200308_213730 (1).jpg
Three Piece Strikers....Bone and Ivory Tips:
3piece strikers.jpg
Five Piece Strikers....Wood, Antler, Carbon, and Ivory or Bone Tips:
5piece.png
Laminate Strikers.... Frogwood:
Frogwood Strikers (7).JPG
Wingbone Strikers:
20210208_084512.jpg
Corn Cob Strikers:
Corn Cobs.png

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Welcome from Crossville TN. Nice collection of strikers there.
Unfortunately I suspect my dog can dig up stuff that's more in your line than what I can scrounge outta my woodpile. At least Ithink I saw her toting antlers and bones.... my pile is a bit mundane at the moment. Closest I come to exotic is fresh (non wormy) american chestnut. And a few yard trees like dogwood. Look around we have quite a few hoarders - I mean collectors who may be persuaded to part with a couple strangely colored sticks that are just growing dust bunnies in the corner of the garage, wood shop, carport, closet, under the bed, behind the couch..... You know who you are! That's right. I did catch a glimpse of that....
:lol2: :sofa:

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
@Fowlup, HA ... I found it. I'm getting senile. I forgot that I have it under massaranduba. Here's what I have. Looks like none of them are thick enough unless you laminate.
1623365089386.png

Although now that I poke around the internet I don't understand why you are having trouble finding any.

Last edited:

Fowlup

Reaction score
First name
Derek
@Fowlup, HA ... I found it. I'm getting senile. I forgot that I have it under massaranduba. Here's what I have. Looks like none of them are thick enough unless you laminate.
View attachment 210693

Although now that I poke around the internet I don't understand why you are having trouble finding any.
I actually found some today my Dad had already cut into striker blanks. Actually some of the strikers I have start with .75" thickness although most are 1 inch. The thickness should be fine. I could still be interested in some to keep in stock. I probably need to get all my Dad's stock transferred to my storage container so I can quantify what I have first. Got most of the blanks transferred and organized, now I'm working on the wood planks. 20210610_203010.png 20210610_203116.png

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Wow! I am duly impressed! I've harvested a few turkeys, but can't say I've actually "hunted" them - just another way of saying I've never used a slate much less a striker, but danged if those aren't cool. Welcome Derek! Remember some of the other guys in the office talking about Danville years ago. I guess we had a construction project near there.