Burl/tree identification

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Bitternut hickory, Carya cordiformis. I lack a burl sample in my collection. Willing to trade or buy a lab for a sample. Often times, the wood under the burl on the other side of the portion you cut off has figure deep enough into the trunk to work for my samples.

Sorry Dan, somehow missed your post. Must be the holiday influence...

d242

Reaction score
First name
dan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bitternut hickory, Carya cordiformis. I lack a burl sample in my collection. Willing to trade or buy a lab for a sample. Often times, the wood under the burl on the other side of the portion you cut off has figure deep enough into the trunk to work for my samples.

Sorry Dan, somehow missed your post. Must be the holiday influence...

There were some smaller burls on the tree I may post for sale in the future. I will give you first dibs.. What was the identifying characteristic that gave it away the orange yellow cambium layer?

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
There were some smaller burls on the tree I may post for sale in the future. I will give you first dibs.. What was the identifying characteristic that gave it away the orange yellow cambium layer?

Location, central New York, side hill slope with hemlock, likely moist soils, was first thoughts. The fissuring of the bark was next. Bitternut mimics ash bark, so shallow when young then deeper. Like ash, it can get blocky and even peel off to a smooth state and start the fissuring over. This is something seen in over mature trees, usually 30+ inched DBH for Bitternut hickory. Most of those look like galls and cankers, not burls. That was my other clue. Phomopsis galls, and Ceratocystis canker I think, they have been knocking hard on our hickories...