Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Burning Wood by Sanding

Discussion in 'Sanding & Finishing - Woodturning' started by Graybeard, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Graybeard

Graybeard Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    David
    In a previous thread I got help modifying my belt/disk sander. I needed some new 6 inch disks for it so I got a slightly finer grit than the previous 60. I settled on a pack of 100 from Harbor Freight and a pack of 120 from Menards. Someone mentioned on a different forum post that the lighter grits may burn rather than cut.

I'm wondering what any of you may have found. I use it mainly to square up pen blanks so don't get too aggressive but I can understand how the speed may be an issue with a heavy hand.

2. duncsuss

duncsuss Trying to turn a little better each day Full Member

First name:
    Duncan
    My experience has taught me that cheap sandpaper does more harm than good. Now I try to stay with real brands -- Norton, Mirka (Abranet), Klingspor.

I've used self-stick 220 and 320 to sand the ends of pen blanks square and flush without problem, using a fairly low speed. I mount the discs on a block that I tapped to fit my lathe spindle, and use a jig to offset the pen blank from the center axis.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Schroedc

Schroedc Trying to kick a nasy sawdust habbit.... Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Colin
    Yes, finger grits can heat up faster, then they close and start burning. Slower speed if possible and not staying in the same spot on the disc can help

Current Time: 4:47 PM