Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

CA glue - Health problems?

Discussion in 'Sanding & Finishing - Woodturning' started by Herb G., Nov 2, 2017.

1. Herb G.

Herb G. Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Herb
    Does anyone else have health problems when using CA glue? I haven't turned pens in a long time due to health reasons, so I have no benchmark to go by.
    I used a few drops the other day in my shop, and the next day my sinuses were stuffed up like I had cotton shoved in my nose.
    I woke up with a pounding headache, and the only thing I can trace it to is the CA glue.

Is there such a thing as an allergy to CA glue?
    If so, is there a low VOC CA glue on the market?

Thanks for any help.

2. woodman6415

woodman6415 Member Full Member

First name:
    wendell
    Was a guy selling a medical type CA at the AAW symposium in Kansas City .. I bought a bottle and have it in shop ... will get you the info later this morning ...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Lou Currier

Lou Currier Member Full Member

First name:
    Lou
    Adverse reactions to ca is not uncommon. There is an odorless CA on the market...check the penturners warehouse.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. duncsuss

duncsuss Trying to turn a little better each day Full Member

First name:
    Duncan
    Yes -- stuffed sinuses and stinging eyes.

I use Odorless CA whenever possible. When it's not available, I wear a powered air helmet that has the intake at the rear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sprung

Sprung Amateur Sawdust Maker Full Member

First name:
    Matt
    Yes, it is very possible to become allergic to CA. Many have. I certainly have.

As others have suggested, use an odorless CA. I prefer BSI brand, their Super Gold (thin) and Super Gold + (Medium). I do also use their accelerator. It's been a while since I've had to buy some, but last I checked Turner's Warehouse and Classic Nib both carry it. Some online hobby shops may also carry it.

Even with using odorless CA, still wear a respirator. Just because it's odorless doesn't mean that any fumes (that you can't smell) may not cause problems or that the accelerator is safe to breathe either.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  6. kweinert

kweinert Member Full Member

First name:
    Ken
    I'm not sure I'd notice any sinus issues since those are a pretty constant thing with me - but I can say that the stinging eyes is a real thing. A big thing. Makes it difficult to see anything they run so much.

That's why I rarely use CA for anything. Just about the only thing I use it for now is crack filling once I've put in the 'solid' (stone, coffee, whatever.)

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. woodman6415

woodman6415 Member Full Member

First name:
    wendell
    This is the CA I bought at AAW symposium... the guy selling this done a booth demo on using it as a pen finish... was pretty impressive... only put on 4 coats .. it's slower to set .. even with accelerator it took a minute between coats ... has to be completely dry before next coat .. then no sanding he just buffed using a Beale system... left a smooth as glass shiny surface ... I've got his card somewhere.. I'll post it when/if I find it ... if I remember right it's a little more pricey than reg CA ...

IMG_3348.JPG

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  8. Herb G.

Herb G. Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Herb
    I'd appreciate it if you would send me the info. You don't necessarily have to post it in the forum.
    Thanks much.

9. Karl_TN

Karl_TN Member Full Member

First name:
    Karl
    @Herb G.

Woodturner Mark Sillay has a video that covers both Parafix 3408 (thin) and 3460. (gel) that are Alkoxy-Ethyl Low odor/Low bloom CA glues:

Suggest contacting Mark Sillay to see if he knows the woodturner who sells individual bottles. It just might be him.
    http://www.marksillay.com

The glue comes from Parson Adhesives, but last time I check they only sell by the case (12 or 16 bottles if I recall correctly) which can get expensive. I've been thinking about buying a case of Parafix 3408 in order to share with my turning club (or here), but need to gauge the interests so I'm not stuck with too many bottles.

http://www.parsonadhesives.com/parfix/ca-glue.htm

10. sprucegum

sprucegum Member Full Member

First name:
    Dave
    I gave up on the CA pretty fast, no particular sinus problems but I seriously dislike the fumes, not to mention it is expensive. I use plain old bullseye shellac for a lot of things it dries almost as fast as CA and smell of alcohol never did bother me. Sometimes I use it for a sanding sealer and put either Howard butcher block finish over it or if I want some shine spar polyurethane.

11. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member Full Member

First name:
    Steve
    I used to use CA for penturning, but I hate using the stuff except where fast cure times are desired. I've switched to epoxy for tube gluing; it's cheaper, better for gap filling and I can get far better coverage on the tubes. I never have used CA for finishing either.

Anything that caustic on the eyes from just the vapor has to be pretty bad for your health.

I'll still keep some in the shop but it's uses are limited.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Karl_TN

Karl_TN Member Full Member

First name:
    Karl
    @sprucegum, @Steve Smith

Consider giving the Parafix 3408 glue a try before giving up on CA glue. Mark has convinced many turners into switching over to these Parafix CA glues because there's little to no odor & bloom. I think Mark has it for about half the price of other odorless CA glues like Super-Gold. I can't stand CA fumes either unless I'm running the dust collector so I plan to order some myself. Don't take my word for it give him a call, or watch his video to see how much he puts on at one time without any fume problems.

Current Time: 4:47 PM