Call for consolidated set of SMALL wood samples for chatoyance

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I ordered some wood samples from France. They shipped last Thursday, DHL. The estimated delivery is this Thursday. Not holding my breath. Barge mail was not available, this was the next cheapest with insurance...

chatometry

Reaction score
First name
Paolo
I'd love to contribute somehow but realize this is an old thread... Been a few years since I been around. Let me know if there's anything in specific you guys have had a hard time finding many samples of and maybe I can locate some in the hoard.

Speaking about north-American wood species, for these relatively common (to my understanding) species we still need samples (which means that we have some, but not enough to provide statistically meaningful data):

Big leaf maple
Butternut
Thuya plicata
Juniperus Virginiana
Hemlock
Hickory
Holly
Honey locust
Apple
Claro walnut
Osage orange
Pecan
Sassafras
Redwood
Mesquite

For each of these, it would be awesome (not necessary) to have samples from more than one source (or from the same source but from different logs).
Any size works as long as it's longer than 5" and wider than 1.5"; any thickness works (including veneers, for which minimum size is 6"x2").
The only samples that do not work are those where the grain runs along thickness (like endgrain cutting boards).

Any help is appreciated!

Paolo

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Speaking about north-American wood species, for these relatively common (to my understanding) species we still need samples (which means that we have some, but not enough to provide statistically meaningful data):

Big leaf maple
Butternut
Thuya plicata
Juniperus Virginiana
Hemlock
Hickory
Holly
Honey locust
Apple
Claro walnut
Osage orange
Pecan
Sassafras
Redwood
Mesquite

For each of these, it would be awesome (not necessary) to have samples from more than one source (or from the same source but from different logs).
Any size works as long as it's longer than 5" and wider than 1.5"; any thickness works (including veneers, for which minimum size is 6"x2").
The only samples that do not work are those where the grain runs along thickness (like endgrain cutting boards).

Any help is appreciated!

Paolo
How scientific are you going for? If you are using commercial suppliers, some questionability:

Big leaf maple - 2 major species are sold under this name
Butternut - pure butternut is very rare and nearly all that harvested within 50 miles of civilization is hybridized
Thuya plicata - Western red ceder
Juniperus virginiana - Eastern red-ceder
Hemlock - 4 USA species, 2 major Eastern hemlock (excludes Carolina hemlock, Tsuga caroliniana) Western Hemlock (excludes Mt. hemlock,Tsuga mertensiana )
Hickory - 8 common species, Shell, Shag, Mocker and Pig being more common commercially
Holly - only a few, American holly being the most commercial, Ilex opaca
Honey locust - assume Gleditsia triacanthos
Apple - only a few species make commercial size (several thousand varieties) going with Malus spp.?
Claro walnut
Osage orange
Pecan
Sassafras
Redwood
Mesquite - a few species here as well, Velvet and Honey being most common

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Paolo,

My package arrived last night, 2 days ahead of schedule. Maybe next time it would be best to send to a friend in a neighboring country and drive to their house when it arrives... 004.JPG 003.JPG

Last edited:

chatometry

Reaction score
First name
Paolo
My package arrived last night,
Beautiful stuff. I wish it had been delivered to me :D
But anyway yes... I should have asked Paul to ship to Switzerland...

How scientific are you going for? If you are using commercial suppliers, some questionability
Thanks for the loads of information.
I guess the only practical way is to neglect all these species sold under the same name.
Here everybody sells "acero" (maple), but nobody ever knows if its acer campestre, acer pseudoplatanus or what else. Same for oak, birch, ...
Plus the woodworker does not know about the exact species he's buying, so I chose to stay generic.
However I am keeping track of the species when I know them, so when we'll have enough data we can check if there's a difference in typical PZC values.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Paolo, I shipped a box on Jan 25th and it was delivered in Thailand on Feb 7th. The Italian postal service has had your box for quite a while now. Any luck finding out what gives?

chatometry

Reaction score
First name
Paolo
I phoned everyone I could and asked in every possible way. I even registered to USPS to access the "USPS tracking plus", willing to pay for this tracking, but apparently it does not work :(
I have no more resources :(
I still believe it could just be late, but I am very upset... Your parcel is in Italy by more than 2 months...

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
I still believe it could just be late, but I am very upset... Your parcel is in Italy by more than 2 months...
What a real shame, after we all went to such effort to get you a really good batch of samples. Major bummer.

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
I phoned everyone I could and asked in every possible way. I even registered to USPS to access the "USPS tracking plus", willing to pay for this tracking, but apparently it does not work :(
I have no more resources :(

I bit the bullet and went for a 2nd round to ship a package to Italy just recently (Butera, CL; it just landed at Milan in a 4 day span) even though the 1st one I shipped to PG, IT took 50 days for a 6-10 business days Priority Mail International service (I mentioned this on my other posting). It only took 4 business days from NY to Milan, Italy- then it falls apart after that and you kind of guessing whether it fell into the “Twilight Zone”. The issue seems to me at the main hub which is at Milan, IT which states “Delivered to Postal Agent”. There was no tracking movement from that location for 44 days. On the 45th day it finally got some transaction and received a scan in the same day from “Office of Exchange and Customs clearance”. The following day it cleared IT Customs (morning) and moved fast from “processed through office of exchange” (Malpensa Lonatepollozo), arrival at the post office and then delivery. I relieved that painful moment for you so you can get an idea of how the whole experience went for me personally.

I have shipped packages to IT more than 3 dozen times in different regions and this was the first time I have encountered such insane time frame delay. All those other times it went smooth within 2 weeks of arrival. I spoke to a veteran postal clerk several days ago and she knew what European countries who were prompt and had a good track record of international deliveries- UK, France, Germany & Switzerland was on top of the list……..I can confirm the same as those countries by my experience is incredibly efficient and reliable. She did say that possibly because closer to the holidays and due to Covid that the delivery time can lengthen and delays to be expected. The worst in her list for a European country and they get lots of complain is Italy!!!!! Turtle slow and they are not diligent when updating their tracking- they must still do it old school without a digital scanner that syncs it within their system so they have real time progress on the package. She said if you want to ship to Italy and you need to get it there within the 10 business week time frame is to ship to within a neighboring country! Switzerland 🇨🇭 was the country she mentioned- Mark mentioned this on his post and you should have Paul ship it there instead and you make a trip to pick it up.

In any case Paolo, the US post office from what I was told and by experience cannot track the status of the package as far as what is going on with it as they are in the mercy at the the other end of the recipient’s post office. Secondly for whatever it is worth, I was told this not once but twice that if you upgrade up to the next shipping service which is “Priority Mail Express International”, delivered 3-5 business days- was told the service gets separated from the rest due to the immediate urgency with the time frame involved, that those packages goes into a FedEx plane. There is actually a money back guarantee for Priority Mail Express International in certain countries (15 countries listed to date; 5 European countries)- oh and Italy is not one of them!!!!! What a surprise.

Please keep us posted and I hope that these precious samples gets delivered to you soon.

chatometry

Reaction score
First name
Paolo
Dear Arn
Thanks for sharing your experience, which makes me think there is still hope.
The situation is getting worse... I used to buy a lot in the US about 15 years ago, and shipments were faster and cheaper.
Now everything gets stuck in Lonate Pozzolo :(

Paolo

Jordan Pisowicz

Jordan Piso
Reaction score
First name
Jordan
Hahaha, my bad didn't mean to hit send on that yet. Been busy lately and so three days later I finally come back to finishing my response to see that it had been sent incomplete.

Anyway, what I was getting at before I fell out of that tree was that I come across a lot of honey locust. I will go through what I have cut to see if I can find some nice pieces of crotch figure.

Also have a good bit of apple but most of it hasn't been milled yet so maybe I have an excuse to start cutting into the pile.

And lastly, I have a slew of reclaimed OG redwood fence pickets from half a century or more ago that I'll also dig into.

I had counted 287 rings on a 2 3/8" piece of scrap! Needed a 10x jewelers loupe in order to do so. Encountering such is truly somethin special.

But bear with me, as I have a lot going on lately. Ill do my best to gather some nice samples and will report back to you guys as soon as I've got something presentable. Back to sleep for now though...

PS - Paul & Mark, you guys rock! I truly appreciate and admire the mass of information that you both have shared with those like myself interested and passionate about learning. No small thing.

- Jordan

chatometry

Reaction score
First name
Paolo
@Jordan Pisowicz
Thank you. A very useful help would be if you could find one small piece from each of 5-10 different honey locust trees!
Redwood would also be interesting, but I would say just one piece, because we don't know whether or not those fence pickets come from the same log.

Redwood is one of the next species in our to-do list!

Thanks again!
Paolo

chatometry

Reaction score
First name
Paolo
Shipped on November 23rd, on November 30th the parcel was in Milan. Now we'll see how many days (or weeks) it takes to reach my door - that is, 15 miles from Milan
And the final answer is... 84 days :D
(almost one week per mile!)
Next time feel free to ship fresh cut wood, as it will dry along the way... :lol2:

Gonzalodqa

Reaction score
First name
Gonzalo
Damn that is a looooong time. For the common samples you can check NEHOSOC also in the Netherlands, hopefully that package won’t take 3 months to ship