Camphor burl vessel

Courtland

Reaction score
First name
Courtland
Trying out some new ideas! Very challenging but fun piece. It is about 14 tall and 8 wide. Wood was wet a week ago :) very stable wood was able to turn dry and re turn within days.

96553891-E5AD-47C1-93DA-E69BE066216A.jpeg

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Nice work! Beautiful form and nice legs!

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Great form, beautiful wood, and great legs!

Reminds me of Serleena's spaceship at the start of Men In Black II.:good2:

Courtland

Reaction score
First name
Courtland
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys! The only metal on the piece is all thread. There is one piece going all the way through from one leg to the other. And a small piece holding the back leg on. I was able to just drill a little bit smaller hole then the all threat and thread it through the piece and the legs and it really made the legs tight to the body. The legs are just wood that I painted with oil runs bronze paint. I would love to take up black smithing or any metal work I just have to many hobby’s. I would really like to collaborate with a metal guy to make legs and threaded tops for my pieces. This is the first time I have ever tackled something like this and the next time I would imagine will be a lot faster and easier. Fingers crossed. Pretty hard To get it all to line up so the piece is level and legs are right in the center of the piece for balance. You really only have one shot when you drill into it or your gonna have a hole in your piece if there not right.

Courtland

Reaction score
First name
Courtland
I can take some more photos of the top of it? Are you wanting to see the actual lid with the sideways finial thing in it or just the top of the form?

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Beautuful. I could see someone buying this for a lot of money to use as an urn for a special love one.

Curiuos to know how you dried this piece so quickly?

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
That burl almost has a mottle or quilt look to it. Never used any Camphor burl. Great looking piece.

Courtland

Reaction score
First name
Courtland
I just dried it in my oven. This stuff is crazy stable so if you can get your thickness very even And a good thickness maybe 1/4 then very minimum warping happened. Then just re turned it as thin as I could go. This stuff sands really nice too. Pretty cool wood. Very very heavy but cuts like butter and sands like hard chalk very easy to sand.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I just dried it in my oven. This stuff is crazy stable so if you can get your thickness very even And a good thickness maybe 1/4 then very minimum warping happened. Then just re turned it as thin as I could go. This stuff sands really nice too. Pretty cool wood. Very very heavy but cuts like butter and sands like hard chalk very easy to sand.

Do you have any cut offs big enough for me to make a reference sample for the collection?

Courtland

Reaction score
First name
Courtland
I might when I cut into more blocks. All I have left from last piece is the corners of a square.

Gardnaaa

Reaction score
First name
Zack
Courtland your work always impresses me. Great work bud. I love the pointed bottom and the legs. Gorgeous!