cangerana cabralea sp?

Jay B. Turnin

Reaction score
First name
jay
My elderly uncle gave me a bunch of his wood and this one approximately 10" cube had written in pencil on it what i believe says cangerana cabralea sp (see picture). I started turning it to see the grain (pictured as well). any ideas on what I've got here? thanks.

IMG_20200216_141943.jpg

IMG_20200217_093140.jpg

IMG_20200217_093153.jpg

IMG_20200217_093159.jpg

Jay B. Turnin

Reaction score
First name
jay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't have the beginning of a clue what the species is, but love the shape of the bowl. Chuck
thanks chuck, it is a wedding gift so i will tell them it is so rare and exotic that even the greatest wood experts in the world can't identify it.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Presumably it's Cabralea cangerana, common name cangerana since that's how it's labeled (the "cabralea sp" makes no sense but he clearly didn't realize that ... Cabralea spp. would have made sense but likely would have been unnecessarily unspecific).

Although authorities disagree (not all that unusual), I believe the correct spelling is now considered to be Cabralea canjerana with a "j", not a "g".

Jay B. Turnin

Reaction score
First name
jay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Presumably it's Cabralea cangerana, common name cangerana since that's how it's labeled (the "cabralea sp" makes no sense but he clearly didn't realize that ... Cabralea spp. would have made sense but likely would have been unnecessarily unspecific).

Although authorities disagree (not all that unusual), I believe the correct spelling is now considered to be Cabralea canjerana with a "j", not a "g".
got it, thank you, i'll do some more research with the proper spelling.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
My piece came from Paraguay 25 years ago. Never really worked it so can't say much. Your turning looks good so far. Look forward to seeing the finished piece.

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
hmmmmm

Medicinal
The bark of both stem and roots is used medicinally, though that of the root is the more powerful. They are abortifacient, antiarthritic, digestive, emetic, febrifuge and narcotic. They are used in the treatment of swamp fever and dropsy.
A wood extract is used in the treatment of dyspepsia and skin afflictions
Other Uses
A red dye is obtained from the sawdust when it is soaked in water