Carbide tipped live center?

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
@trc65 and others have talked about carbide tipped live and dead centers. I've never heard of them, what is the advantage of the carbide over "plain" ones? Tony

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I hadn't heard of them either, but in @rdabpenman response to my thread on mandrels:
https://woodbarter.com/threads/question-on-mandrels-etc.40139/page-2

The handout he attached showed carbide tipped centers. I assumed that the carbide tips would prevent galling/scarring from the rubbing/slipping of the bushings on the centers.

Note, this was just my assumption, but I assume I'm correct.:ponder:

Another assumption; I guessing that carbide tipped centers are primarily used in metal turning, hence their absence from the Woodturning supplier sites that I searched.

Last edited:

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
I bought a live center from these guys before I started making my own. They cater to metal working more so than wood turning. Here's a link to a Carbide Dead Center with an explanation of it's use. I just noticed it took me to Amazon, but if you search for Z Live Center, you will find their site, located in Orange County, or maybe very southern LA county, in Diamond Bar, Ca. . ... https://www.bing.com/shop?q=Z+Live+centers&FORM=SHOPPA&originIGUID=F55F0E3629D7418FB06051014BBC8978
........... Jerry (in Tucson)

Last edited:

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
I agree w/ Tim that it seems carbide live centers would only be needed in metalworking, not at all in woodworking.

Patrude

Reaction score
First name
Rich
Ive been using a carbide tip live center for pen turning. I haven't had the typical wear that happens with a standard live center. It lasts longer too. I bought two over a year ago and haven't seen the need to use the back up yet